Anniversary

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

May 10, 2012

My mother

Today is Mother's Day in Mexico. So, this one goes out to my mother. I thought I had my mother figured out. After all, I had lived with the woman for 21 years and lived next to her for another 3. But nothing would prepare me for this.
When I had Dominic and my mom was here, I saw a new side to her- the cool, calm grandma. And I started to reflect on what I remember when I was little of my mother, and how much I would end up being like her as a mom. My mom does not sugar coat things, she tells like it is, so sometimes its hard to hear what she has to say. At the same time, I'm grateful she did that, because it taught me to deal with criticism wisely. My mom treated us like her kids, never equals. I am grateful for that, because otherwise all three of us would be brats. My mom sacrificed too much for us.
 I know that she didn't want to move away from HER mother and come live here, but she did. She didn't want to learn English, but she did. She didn't want to discipline us, but she did. She didn't want to learn how to drive on the highwyt, but she did. All in all, my mom is a super strong woman. It seems like most of her life was based on things that she didn't want to do, but DID because her family needed her. It would have been so easy to say NO.
Now, that I have a kid, it makes me wonder how she did all that she did when we were little. My mom always wore nice dresses, and high heels, and big bows (the 80's...remember?), and lots of makeup. She was never frumpy. She did it every morning even when she had 3 kids to take care of. And I look at myself, and I can't even do it with one.  Why am I so lazy? why can't I be like my  mother?
My mom was always with us. She never had a girls night out (maybe a date here and there with dad). We were always together, she never left us to go on vacation. We all went along when she needed groceries or needed to go pick up a suit at the cleaners. I remember she used to take us all to the farmers market on saturday mornings. She picked us up from school EVERY DAY from prek-high school, while I saw other kids walk or take the bus.

 I want my family to be together, and feel the closeness that I feel when I'm with my family. I'm not afraid to say it- I miss my mommy everyday but I know that she trained me well, and I have my own family now to take care of, and I need to be there for them. Let's face it, without moms, the family would fall apart. So, I just want to give props for the woman who gave me life and taught me how to live it righteously. What an example of a woman did Heavenly Father put in my life. Even after all the stupid fights we had when I was younger (teenagers...pssh!), I still love her and I tell her that everyday.  So, thank you mommy for all your hard work and now you get to be cool calm grandma and chillax for once!

No comments: