Anniversary

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

August 14, 2012

8 Months

As I lay here typing and watching Dom sleep....THAT'S RIGHT! He sleeps now...how COOL is THAT now????(for now anyways). I have to keep reminding myself that everything happens for a reason. For example, Had he been born 4 years ago, I think I would have been severely depressed, for I was NOWHERE near ready for him. Back then, we were just a young couple getting to know each other, and I worked and Spencer went to school. Yes, things would have been MUCH harder then....for us. I have to keep reminding myself "I was prepared for this...as much as I could have been". I had plenty of time to read on books and blogs and interview my mother about everything. Physically my body was ready...and I think mentally I was too. A couple of days ago, I came across a blog that opened my eyes a bit. She mentioned something called the "4 month regression". I actually looked it up on several medical sites, and it is an actual psychological condition for babies. I don't ever remember reading about this on the tens of library books. Aparently, babies who sleep well for the first 3 moths, sometimes "regress" at the 4 month mark and find it very hard to sleep more than a couple of hours at a time. The scientific community is not really sure why, but they think it's because this is the phase where they become babies, and are no longer newborns. Their brains are trying to keep up and they learn so much so fast that it's hard for them to actually sleep thru it. That's why most people suggest to let them cry it out, so they can figure out by themselves how to self soothe and go back to bed.  Had I KNOWN that 5 months ago, I would have felt sorry for him. This whole time, I just thought he was making my life miserable. This whole time....I thought it was because he started getting the major shots and he started solids. I actually felt bad because I thought I had started him on solids too early and he was just miserable for it. I thought...it was all my fault.Now, I know...it's just a part of life.
Because of this new finding, I have let him cry it out to sleep. For the most part, he's really good and will only cry for abut 5 minutes. I usually cradle him to sleep around 8 or 9pm, but if he wakes up before midnight...he's on his own....I find this is a happy medium. I wake up to feed him between midnight and 1am. And THEN he sleeps until 8or 9am...depending on the activity of the day.
NOW this could also mean, that he's getting sick (like getting the chicken pox)...but he's usually pretty active during the day...IF he was getting sick he would be slouchy and not really eat, and be cranky...and he has not done that yet. So, well see. We're still not in the clear, it takes up to 21 days for the chicken pox to appear, so he could technically still get them. He is also finally teething. Here I thought he would walk before getting teeth- he just got his #24- lower left tooth and he is working on the right one right one. I finally bought him the Hyland teething tablets. For some reason the Orajel ones (ALL OF THEM) said to not give babies younger than 2. So, I just skipped over them. That's kinda lame...but glad I read the box. The hyland's are actually for all ages- and it came with tablets and gel for a really good price. He won't let me near his mouth with the gel...but will open his mouth for the tablets....maybe he thinks its food.

Onto a lighter note, Dom has also become more daredevilish as the months go by. I took some pics...cause I want to make sure I show them to him when he grows up and I can let him know how much grief he put me thru...haha.

He used to like this tunnel....and now he's figured out he can DESTROY IT!...he won't go thru it anymore. He always tries to take it apart.
Bought some diapers for our trip to the beach soon...and he immediately found a new toy. He actually tried to crawl to the next box...didn't work too well for him.

 
He does like to climb this thing, and chew on the toys attached to it. Do you see those amazing back muscles?? Spencer says he'll be a gymnast.
He likes to think that he can reach and jump into the basket...I had to put a pillow inside to make sure if he actually makes it...he'll be okay. Otherwise all his toys are in there.
He probably uses the ab rocket the most around here. He likes the rollers in the back area. Its funny to see him miss a step and roll all the way down. He doesn't like it, but I think its funny. He has actually reached the next one up.
And some days...he's pretty mellow. He likes to watch outside and see the dogs. I would take him out there but people don't clean up after their dogs, and I cant let him crawl thru that...disgusting!
And then...there's goofy days... He wouldn't let me take a picture of THAT tooth. He has a little red mark on his cheeck because he drools so much..it's almost gone...you would think, it would be on the chin though...

I have also noticed for some time now, that he may actually be hugging and kissing me. It finally occured to me....For some months now (started back in late May- when he started to crawl) he would climb on me and put his mouth on my chin...I would always wait for the bite...but it never came. He would just put his mouth on my chin for a couple seconds and then go his merry way. Last night, he did it again but actually hugged me!....I cannot express in words how tender the moment was. He was just playing and got so excited...he came over to me...climbed me....hugged me and put his mouth on my chin...no bite. I have been trying to teach him how to kiss, but I know that he's too young to understand the use of his lips. That's why I'm still trying to teach him sign language- he understands it, but won't sign back.
As the days go by, I just remind myself...everything happens for a reason. I was meant to meet and marry Spencer, so he could teach me how to be more patient. I used to be so controlling when I was younger and I would hate it when life didn't go my way. After 5 years with Spencer, it's pretty much "hakuna matata" from here on out. I think I've learned to improvise with what is thrown my way, and for that I am grateful. I would have been a terrible mother, had I been so controlling. This kid needs to do his own thing most of the day, and I am okay with that. I do not mind at all following his schedule even if that means that I don't get out of the house that day. I KNOW there will be a day, when he walks and we'll have to go to the park all day for him to let out all that energy...which by the way...I'm not looking forward to, but it's inevitable. It's funny how life turns out soooo different from what you had wanted and in the end...it's exactly what you needed.

No comments: