Anniversary

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

January 2, 2013

New Year, New Me

The New Year has started off good...baby sleeps most of the night (waking up by 10am) and I have started using my xmas presents: zumba and just dance 3.
 
My hubby got me the zumba core because I'm been complaining about my body lately. He figured this was much cheaper (even if I didn't use it) to a gym membership. I have been doing it for a week...and let me tell you. I feel so TIRED. People say that if you work out you feel great and you want to do more things...not me. I only get about 45 min done (with about 550 cals burned) and I'm done for the day. I have to do it during nap time, cause baby doesn't like watching me do it. Which means, that I get done by 4pm- enough time for a quick shower and then wake up baby for the rest of the day. But truth be told, all I want to do is crawl into bed and take a nap myself.

I have also started couponing and saving more money. This is a resolution for me this year. Normally, I don't believe in them- but this year is crucial.
Now... I have been using coupons for a while, prob since baby was born. I had to supplement with formula and he only liked enfamil. This meant....it was going to be expensive. I subscribed to their program and every 30 days or so I would get formula checks worth $5-$7 each. THEN, I would combine them with target offers (target is the only store around here that accepts target coupons and manufacturer coupons). This way, I was able to get $10-$15 off every time I bought formula. I ended up doing this for like 11 months....it was time consuming...finding sales and coupons, but it was well worth it. Because I got enfamil formula at the store brand price. That's when the little light bulb when off in my head- FOR REALS.
 
This SERIOUSLY all started when hubby told me he wanted to go to grad school. Then we decided to save for grad school, meaning....buying no more junk food and unnecesary things. We actually started about 4 months ago. I've been reading about it and watching shows. If you know me.....I do research first...I just don't jump in. I wanted to know if it was worth my time. These days....I don't have very much of it, so this was a crucial point. I discovered that by writing companies you can get coupons. So I did that, not everyone sent them, but some did. Ok...so now I have something to start with. Our local store has been having days where they will double coupons up to $1. They usually only double up to 50 cents, but a $1 is worth checking it out. That's the first time I felt the rush....of buying shampoo for 50 cents, and lysol wipes for $1, and magic erasers for $.50. ITS CRAZY! I didn't believe it. I scouted the store for more sales and came back later that day...because coupons.com had some coupons that I know could be matched up to the sale items. TRUTH BE TOLD- I ended up getting baby food (4) and silk protein juice (4) all for free. I actually posted that receipt on facebook....cause it just too hard to believe.
 
Today, I found out that our public library does coupon swapping every tuesday and wednesday. They have a big table with a bunch of boxes (to separate coupons into). You donate your coupons and they put them out. It's awesome. I can't believe I've been here for two years and NOBODY has told me this- makes me angry. I originally went in to ask about 1 yr old story time....baby really needs to get out more. And that's when I saw the table. I ended up grabbing a couple of newspaper inserts. Next time, I'll go drop  by my unwanted coupons. I also discovered a store- ALDI- that has lots of stuff for a lot cheaper than walmart. Today, i found dr seuss books for $2.50 (hardback)- i got three: abc, cat in the hat, 1 fish 2 fish. It was too good to pass up. I can't even get that awesome price at goodwill- and they are used! Baby will get them later this year- either bday or xmas. They also had tons of little toys for a less than $5. I'm just saying...it's worth checking out.
 
I write this, because I hope I can help someone. We are all struggling in one way or another...why pay for full price when you can get it much cheaper...just by being patient? It works. I'm here to tell you that it works.Now go....and find some sales.  Welcome to the New Year!!

2 comments:

Kimberly and Matt said...

I decided I want to try my hand at couponing too... on a very minor scale. I don't have a lot of time for it, but I'm hoping http://fabulesslyfrugal.com/ can help me find some easy ways to save without a ton of work. I've asked my mom to start giving me her coupon inserts to see what I can do. Good luck with saving!

Kim (Spencer's cousin)

Music City Coffeys said...

You know...i use coupondivas.com....they tell you the coupons (online and inserts) available for the week, and then they also tell you how to match them up with other offers in the store (they have a list of tons of stores). It's a good resource. I'm not very good, nor am I looking to get $1,000 worth of groceries on $10, but whatever I can save is good. You should post about it too. We can help each other out. Thanks for reading