Dom is now 13 months, and although he does not grow as fast as he did in his first year, his mobile and talking skills have increased ten fold. I swear I can hear him say "ok" and "thanks" and "who" and "whee" and little words like that in context with our conversations. He also climbs and likes to jump off the couch...He's a pretty cool guy.
Recently, On January 8th around 10am he started getting a fever....I didn't think anything of it...I thought maybe he was getting some big teeth in...he never has fevers...but my mom says we always did...so it was a possibility.
Spencer worked that night- and it was horrible! BE VERY GRATEFUL that you have husbands that spend the night with you. It is very hard for me to be alone with a baby at night...and it's already been a year. I thought I would feel better about it with time...but it haven't. Recently, he has been asked to work extra shifts which makes it even harder.
So, back to the story....Baby and I alone....an hour into night time sleep, he wakes up screaming...like pain screaming...and he was so hot to the touch. I tried to take his temp and it read 103. I spent all night texting daddy to let him know that temp was not going down and tylenol was hot helping. I also started placing cold, wet washcloths on his forehead...I was afraid he was going to fry his little brain off. I was starting to get scared, and was starting to plan what I was going to do in the worst case scenario- go to the emergency room?
Hubs decided to come home around 3 am instead of his usual 8am. He stayed the rest of the night with baby while I got some shut eye. I woke up around 7am and baby was still so hot to the touch...I woke up daddy who had fallen asleep on duty and we decided to go to urgent care. By this time, the fever had not lowered from 103 and it was about to be 24hrs.
Urgent care was super fast- not happy about the copay, but whatever, my child's life is worth so much more than the piddly copay at this point. I just want him to be happy and well again. The NP looked him over and suddenly noticed his left ear was swollen (on the inside) and very red- she diagnosed it as a ear infection. It's so weird because baby never pulled on his ear, or walked funny or anything to hint that his ear was hurting (Now, babies tend to get ear infections when they teeth too...so, I'm still thinking he's getting molars). Either way, she gave us a prescription for antibiotic and gave the little guy ibuprofen. I normally hate ibuprofen- won't take it myself. the Hubs has a fear of it as well because a lot of the people in the hospital he works for, have a lot of GI bleeds and issues due to excessive use of ibuprofen. what is excessive, you say? I don't know..it varies on the person. You don't know you have damage until its too late and you need to go to the hospital.
BUT....in as little as10 minutes, baby was SO much better. He was smiling.- a good sign. That night (#2) was even worse. Daddy had to go to work again. Baby nor I slept. He was up unitl 4am whinning. I finally figured out that he liked to be held up as he slept, and he likes his feet to dangle. I stayed up and walked around for an hour (as long as I could). But when I could no longer do it, I had to sit down, and he woke up because his legs folded and touched the sofa cushions.WHAT A PICKY CHILD. I'm falling over here and all he is worring about is his legs being folded. So I stood up again, and once he fell asleep again, I sorta fell asleep sitting down too (so he could be vertical). I think that was the worst night....I only slept like 3 hrs. Truth be told- I don't think I ever did that, even when he was a baby. The hubs came home around 8am with some ibuprofen. As soon as I gave it to him, I put him on the living room floor with lots of blankets (next to me)- he fell asleep immediately and so did I. I didn't even hear when hubs came out of our room and ate breakfast.
We got up around noon and the whining fest started all over again. The next two nights, daddy was here, so we took turns, I took the late night one, and he took the early one. I do feel sorry for the baby. He hardly napped- maybe 40 min. But little by little, we thought he was getting better.
Saturday the 12th- It seemed the antibiotics finally started to take effect. Dom is still not eating. I mean five beans here, and 3 cookies there. He hasn't pooped in 2 days which worries me- but then again, he hasn't eaten. He has eaten some soup. He does laugh and smile, and he naps for a couple of hours now. I think we're on a good track now.
Nurse Practicioner said that as long as the antibiotics are given for 10 days straight, he should be back to normal in no time. And I'm waiting.....very patiently...

1 comment:
I'm sorry - that doesn't sound like fun at all. I hope Dominic is feeling better soon!
On another note, Matt has worked nights the entire first year of our marriage. He likes working nights, but I'm counting down the days until he will be home at night (he switches to days in 2 weeks and will be on days for 6 months until he's back on nights for a year). Anyway, I feel your pain there! Darn work schedules!
Post a Comment