Anniversary

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

November 30, 2013

Thanksgiving 2013

This year, we humbled thanksgiving down..A LOT.  It's okay, because I think it put things in perspective. What are we REALLY thankful for? I' m always thankful for everything in my life- family, friends, church, just life in general....

This year...I decided to really pay attention to what I'm thankful for. I made a thankful tree. My dear husband found a good size branch outside our door and I decided to put it to good use. I made some leaves out of colorful paper and put them in a nice vase....after it got decorated of course. The goal...was to write down (everyone) anything and everything we are thankful for. I think it's a good tradition to start, cause it seems that we take a lot of things for granted....like weekly pay checks....or extended family. We have always been  around family since we got married...now being on our own....was and still is scary. 
My little tablescape.
We tried to decorate, but its so hard to find
Thanksgiving stuff....maybe next year.

This year, we were going to celebrate by ourselves, but a nice family from church invited us over. I agreed to bring the turkey and drinks. Unfortunately, I had never made a turkey, and was so afraid of messing up, especially when other people were going to eat it, so I just bought the already cooked one and just placed it in the oven for a couple of hours....hoping to save on the electric bill.
My husband's pumpkin pie...from our Halloween pumpkin.
And yes, he's a total pie-zilla in the kitchen. Nobody can be in there
when he's baking.
My turkey...well the one I heated haha. It wasn't bad.
 
We ate around 5 pm....the S family (6 of them), a pair of missionaries, a nice couple, and us three. It was nice....even though it wasn't family....to still be surrounded by loving people who like us haha. My hubs has recently turned anti- social, so this was out of his comfort zone, but I'm glad we went. Otherwise,we probably would have eaten by ourselves, watched tv, maybe head to walmart and then go to bed. It was nice to visit with other people.This  is the first year since we have been married that we did not attend Black Thursday.  Technically, we bought stuff online today and yesterday, but didn't actually make it to the stores hours after eating. Dom and I actually did go to the big stores Friday morning, and to our surprise, the movies we wanted were still there.
Quite honestly, I'm glad we waited. I think the hype makes you want to spend more. We were a bit scared to spend too much money...being on a a student budget sucks. We gotta keep within budget if we want to eat...that's important....
The set up.

Daddy was taking the picture.

We also started a new tradition of watching home movies during this time of year. I had forgotten how truly huge I got with baby Dom. I am still amazed that my pants actually went past my knees, and the fact that the weight disappeared. The body is an incredible machine.....definitely something to be thankful for. We also watched baby Dom roll over for the first time, and crawl, waddle, and finally walk. I know it's only been a couple of years, and I shouldn't have forgotten. And I mean....I remember how old he was when things happened, but the little details of how he waddled, and how he sill grunts the same way, and how his personality quirks were already showing at such a young age.....I don't think I would have remembered that, had I not videotaped it. Another thing to be grateful for....technology....I'm glad we were able to videotape Dom at his finest. Truth be told, he loves watching himself on tv. He loves watching himself smile, and laugh...and also throw fits and cry. Poor tortured soul....haha

All in all, I'm grateful for all the good things AND bad things in my life....I wouldn't  be the person I am today without them. I finally grew up into the person I wanted to be when I grow up...go figure...dreams do come true.

We actually set up the tree a week ago...we couldn't
WAIT!!! (you can see pumpkins on the mantle)
 
Placing the stockings....this year, we get a fireplace.
He was trying to figure out what was in them...shh it's a
surprise....(mantle finally switched to Xmas mode)

Hope everyone had a lovely holiday and now...we move on to the Christmas decorations and the upcoming celebrations....yay!

No comments: