Anniversary

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

June 20, 2014

It's finally happening....

Spencer received a call last Friday from a recruiter in North Carolina about an open position in the hospital in the teensy tiny town of Henderson. He asked him if he would be willing to interview next Thursday. It appeared so sudden, but he was scared this might be his only offer, so he  agreed (an these recruiters also have contacts in other states...we felt if we said no, maybe they wouldn't hook us up somewhere else). Then he found out  it was an 8 hour drive. We're saving our air points (for our credit card) for "maybe" west coast interviews (you know...the ones we really can't drive to), so he decided the drive was the only way to go. When they mentioned that the hotel was paid by them, he asked me if I wanted to go. I know y'all probably knew this, but I'm new at this. I didn't realize companies paid for "potential" candidates' hotels stay. This is totally brand new to me...but I'm liking it. All we had to pay for was gas and food...but since I like to save...we took a cooler full of food, that way we didn't have to stop.
 
3am selfie...he hates it!
The sun woke up fire orange that day...it was beautiful.

 
We left Wednesday at 3am thinking Dom would sleep, but little booger did not. He's actually a much better road tripper than he used to be. He still can't sit down for 8 hrs but he sat for 4....that's awesome  in my book. He doesn't whine or anything....he just asks if I can unbuckle him for spurts at a time. Sometimes, we'll stop and let him roam a bit.  We got there around 11am. The drive was fantabulous. I've never seen so much green in my life. We passed right by the smoky mountains....thru them, and under them (tunnels). And it was so cool to see the fog below us in the tree canopies. I guess I've never seen quite so much forest. And the road was curvy and sometimes your ears popped...but nothing bad. Dom was actually playing with the iPad the entire time, and never got dizzy. 
The Smoky Mtns
Tunnels in the Smoky Mtns

When we arrived, luckily our room was ready, so I decided to let Dom nap....easier said than done. I usually have to shut him  in his room and leave him there for hours...but I couldn't do that here....so I tackled him ( he thought I was playing) and I hugged him and never let go....while we were watching paw patrol on Nickelodeon (his fave show). What do u know?? He not only fell asleep...he started snoring within minutes. I took  advantage ( I was dead tired) and slept too. I woke up around 4hrs later only to find Spencer asleep on the other bed....so basically we are all bums. Anyways, by dinner time we found something and after eating explored the tiny town of Henderson. It  is located in the northern part of NC- it's actually only about 3 hrs from DC and about 2 hrs from the east coast and beaches. It is definitely south country...you can clearly see...the East side of town...and the West side of town....divided by the railroad tracks. They don't really get snow...but last year, they revived 6 inches...and it never gets above 100 degrees. They are the MOST religious county in NC, and therefore have every denomination in the actual town...which is odd, cause there's also liquor and tobacco stores on very corner. 
First time for everything...Chik-fil-a
Do you realize how hard it is to find indoor playgrounds
these days in restaurants? He loved it!!

Look at those tall trees....and these weren't even that tall
compared to the ones by the Lake.
Aren't you a sight for sore eyes???....the LDS chapel in Henderson
How are people NOT building tree houses with trees like these??
Schools have bad ratings, but that's probably due to the 65% population of African Americans....yep, they never left. The plantations are actually still here and they still farm in them, there's just no slaves. You can definitely tell in a small town like this, which side of the railroad tracks you live  on......I thought that was kinda sad. I am not sure if I would enjoy living there to be honest. If this is THE job, we might have to look into the nearby towns and Spencer can just drive to work.
The interview went well on Thursday morning, but he's not sure it's what he wants. While he interviewed, I had to check out by 10:30 am and had to keep Dom entertained until Spencer came back. We decided to go across the street to the largest store the town has-Wal-Mart. They really don't have anything else....no target, no Ross, no tjmaxx....NOW I KNOW I can't live there haha. Dom got bored pretty quick, and so did I. 
 
Day of the interview...I think Spencer was telling Dom
about the job....he was just excited he got froot loops for
breakfast (not because he was listening)
 
Keeping him entertained outside while Daddy finished.
 
By 11:30am, They gave us a tour of the town and we right after, proceeded to leave beautiful NC.....and drive 8 hrs back....(sobbing). Sorry....it's just too long. And then on  the way back...we got hit TWICE with bad rain/hail. I'm not sure what was going on, but everyone turned on their caution lights and most stopped on the shoulder to wait it out. There was actually quite a few motorcycle riders waiting under passes and bridges....don't they watch the news? 

It did say 50% chance of rain but what we got was ridiculous. I had put rain-x on the windshield...and it still didn't help. Spencer kept saying "it's a tornado!!! It's a tornado!!!" And I kept telling him the more of a reason to NOT stop....you NEVER stop on the side of he highway when a tornado is coming..,if that's what it was ( I don't think it was).But Dom was mesmerized by all the noises of the hail hitting the windshield and car. I really thought the windshield was a goner.  Then Spencer worried the car was dented....that's how loud we were getting hit...but the car was fine...we are all fine. Just another adventure by the Coffeys. 
One tunnel back
The Smoky Mtns again...we might have to plan a trip in Aug here
when there is no more school. Also, Dollywood and outlets are not too far away from
here...triple whammy!
Gotta make it home before sunset....

In the end, we made it home safe and sound by 9pm...right at sunset. Good job Leslie for bringing us back. Dom didn't nap so he fell asleep by 8pm and Mom and Dad fell asleep by 9pm....what an awesome day. Here's to hoping for more interviews as graduation approaches (less than 40 days away!!!!)....But seriously, try to convince Spencer to move us to a bigger town (preferably where there is a target, ross, tjmaxx, and a Texas roadhouse)....I have needs (haha).

Dom finally gave out around 8pm on the floor of the SUV with
IPAD in hand....


No comments: