It finally clicked. On the day of February 11, 2014, around dinnertime, Dominic said "momma momma pants off pants off....potty potty". He was wearing a diaper, so i was confused for a split second. I helped him get it off and he ran into the small potty and he came out with the biggest smile and said "momma...peepee in potty". I went over to look ( i was making dinner) and sure enough, there it was. I have never been so happy to see peepee in a potty before. I thought it was a fluke, so i brushed it off. but it kept happening....again and again...here we are three days later...and still no diapers. Mijo has finally learned to go potty...and it is a proud mom moment for sure.
I now know...he just needed time. I kept reading blogs and thinking i could force him when he was 18 months, but Dom marches to a different beat- he always has. He crawled, walked, and now potty trained in his own time. I feel so bad,now, wasting time and forcing him the last year and a half. This time, he wasnt naked, no reward chart, no great prize (except fruit snacks), no sitting every 15 min, or forcing him to stay in the bathroom all day (potty party as they calll it). All i had to do was show him what to do. It goes to show...dont force your kids, they"ll be ready...when they're ready.
And he'a rocking some cool underwear these days.
No comments:
Post a Comment