Anniversary

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

April 17, 2015

Our Biggest DIY Project: The Before

We bought a house less than a month ago. As soon as we saw it, I knew it had potential. Here are the pictures from when we first saw it (I took pics of houses we saw...it made it easier to remember specific things about them):

our first time seeing the house
I liked that the house was on Zion street..it was like a sign or something. I also liked the fact that the brick was gray. All houses here are mostly brick red..I like being a little different. I loved that huge window as well (that's the toy room) and the small window on the left is the boys' room. 
The front door (a closet on both sides) and the main hallway
to the right
The front entrance was okay, I mean, it wasn't a wow factor by any means. But this house is over 20 years old- and none of the tile was broken- that was a plus. It is also the only place you will find tile...even better, because it's so HARD to remove. There are two closets at the entrance...one to the right where coats go..and the one on the left is an under-the-stairs closet...that's right...there's a second floor to this house...you would HAVE never guessed by looking at the outside. Another reason I loved it...full of surprises.

the main hallway to the right (bathroom on the right
and then the rooms start on the left)

There is a hallway immediately to the left of the entrance...if you keep going forward you will see the living area. The hallway is a bit dark, we will probably update the lighting later. This house was actually rented for about three years, so in order to sell it, the landowner had to do a MASSIVE update...which was good for us, because it really didn't increase the price of the house. All light fixtures, windows, carpet, cabinet hardware, microwave, stove, dishwasher, water heater, roof,and A/C unit were all new. The roof and A/C were less than 4 years old. That was a  huge relief...let's face it...those are the most expensive things to update in a house. I was looking to update the cheapest stuff- paint and maybe cabinets.

The hallway bathroom

The bathroom was in incredibly decent shape compared to the other houses we looked at. The tub was white and the plumbing and light fixtures were all renovated. I think I would like to stain the cabinets a bit darker...this color now just makes the wood look old. But since I want to do it, I want to take my time and not make it worse...so, it's an "eventually" project. I think I will start with this one, because it's the smallest. If I like it, I may move on to the master bath AND the utility room. I want the utility room to have colored cabinets though...like a minty green....that's a whole 'nother animal. The hubs also wants to frame the mirrors...which is probably the easiest thing to do in here. We'll see....

The house had also recently been painted white, and the carpet had just been replaced...so it smelled like new house.

First room to the left- office, but it will be the toy
room for now. 
This is the first room in the hallway- an office. For now, it will be the toy room, since it's next to the boys' room. We have painted since then, but I need to take pics. The closets have potential, and eventually we will make the space work better for us. I really don't like the folding doors...but it wasn't a deal breaker...compared to how much the house had been renovated.
All closets look like these....we might change that
and use the space better...especially in the toy room.

The boys' room is next. It has since been painted. I like the fact that every room has a ceiling fan...another plus.

boys' room (the toy room and boy's room face the
front of the house)
I didn't like the fact that the washer and dryer were in a closet, but again, not a deal breaker, besides...right in front of the closet is a utility room. I had NEVER seen such thing in a small house...that's usually something that comes in custom houses...you know that ones that happen to be half a million bucks around here....so I told my husband...that this house was calling my name...haha

Washer/dryer closet in the hallway
A utility room...I get a sink!!! and look at all the extra
storage...this house is full of storage cabinets.
Past the utility room, you come to the master bedroom. This house has storage everywhere...there's cabinets right before the master bedroom and both bathrooms  have storage cabinets as well.

The master 
Entrance to the master on the left...bathroom to the right
 The master bathroom is cool...it has his and her closets...FINALLY I don't have to share. It also has a skylight right above the jacuzzi tub. My husband is already talking about talking the below cabinets out and make the shower bigger...we'll see.
master bath....the shower, and my closet

can you see the skylight on top of the tub??? (his closet and potty room)
The owner also left us quite a bit of goodies...all the extra cabinet hardware (about 6 pulls and knobs), the towel holder you see in the picture above and the little basket with potpourri...he also left some paper towels and toilet paper...quite a bit of it....I"m not complaining. You can tell he just wanted to get this house off his back. The inspection revealed that the A/C ducts in the foundation were old and dirt was getting in (no surprise...it's 20 yrs old)....so he went ahead and relined all of them for us...again....a huge expense we don't have to deal with. There was no way I was letting this house go, with all the updated stuff the owner was willing to do . There were actually two more offers after ours, but we decided to offer full price...which made us stand out. I didn't mind paying full price, with all the updates.
Living room and kitchen (hallway to the right, entertaining to the left)
This is what the main floor looks like from the loft. Dom LOVES the loft...he calls it "dom's room". Sorry buddy...not true. I don't want my kids up there until they're older...then that will become the toy room...if we're here long enough. For now, the loft will be the office. 

I'ts not a big house by any means...I don't have a formal living nor a formal dining...but honestly, we wouldn't use it anyways, and that means less house for me to clean. I'm totally okay with that. The kitchen and eating area have vinyl (brand new)flooring, but I think, eventually, we might change it and put wood flooring (again, if we're here long enough)....for now, I don't mind it...it's not cold like tile (nor will it crack), and it doesn't scratch like real wood...especially with kids running around. 
I really like how the big windows don't have anything obstruction the view...it makes the space look so much bigger. We want to paint the living room one color and the eating area another, but not sure how I will make it work....I have to sit and ponder about that one. One thing is for sure...I'm sick of white walls....
Eating area (next to living room)

All windows are new

The owner was kind enough to upgrade all the kitchen appliances...ALL OF THEM. And he was willing to leave the fridge...which is another expense we don't have to worry about for now. Seriously, all I have to worry about is a lawn mower, and washer and dryer. Eventually, I think I would like to try to paint the cabinets white with chalk paint and then use antique wax to make it look a little older...but we'll see. It's not a big kitchen, so I may be able to do it myself....but then I have to sand all these cabinets...ugh. The kitchen is semi open to the living room, which I like. I think I was attracted to the quirkiness of the house. It has weird corners....and openings...that I've never seen before..at least in this area.  All the houses we were looking at had wallpaper, and cracked tile, and with all the earthquakes going on...some cracked drywall as well....I mean, we knew we would have to work a lot on them. So, when this listing fell into our laps...to say we were grateful and surprised that we could actually afford it...is an understatement.

Kitchen...leads to the garage

Other kitchen entrance has a stairwell
 The kitchen has two openings...one via the eating area, and the other via the living room (with a stairwell to the loft). There is a weird corner here that I'm not sure what to do with. I think shelving will be too bulky...then i thought.."I could do chalk paint there...and the kids can have fun while I cook" but we'll see...I'm not quite sure yet. For now, the kitchen and eating area will stay white...we'll think of something, but suggestions are always welcomed.
Door is the entrance closet (bedroom hallway to the right) and
there is a loft upstairs
I also loved the stairwell. Sure, it would probably look better with a banister and no drywall. But considering I have two children under the age of three (and their FRIENDS) that last thing I want is someone's little head getting stuck in the banister. Also, the wall is tall enough for 3 year old to not reach the top and lean too far over...totally okay with that. And I love the tall ceiling in the living room...Con??? how do I paint that???? and PRO???? this HUGE wall is BEGGING to have a projector and screen attached to it...don't you think? I wouldn't even have to go to the movie theater anymore. My dad actually said the same thing when he first saw it. I just have to convince my husband now....or maybe a 70" tv will do for now...


Stairs to the left, loft on the right
 This is the loft...it's a big bedroom..with no door nor bathroom. It has an small opening on the side that overlooks the main entrance, so I can see whose at the door. It also has a skylight. For now, this will be the office....and the diploma room.
Standing on the stairs...another skylight

attic access to the right.


And finally, the backyard. It's not huge, but my kids need something. Once we tear out this HUGE deck (let's face it...we don't entertain) it will make the backyard look so much bigger...AND...those two trees will help us put up a hammock in the summer.


Backyard: you can see the master bedroom windows

Other side of backyard...big deck. I think we'll reuse the wood
and make wood planters for next year. 



This year, we will not be able to make the backyard pretty. There's just too many weeds to do that. But maybe next year, we can get some planters and start a garden. Both of our neighbors have dogs, so we have to be careful. I don't think the fences have EVER been updated, so we will do that first...just because they're big dogs...a boxer to one side..and a German Shepard to the other...I know...why couldn't they be Labradors??? Oh well. Once the new fence is up, I will feel safer for sure. I already talked to one neighbor and he said it was okay. I even offered to do it and then split the cost...I am yet to talk to the boxer neighbor...they have a pool too....so technically, they're more dangerous, but we will see. We have talked about it, and we can't get carried away with costs. We have to agree on a budget to spend every month on updates...otherwise, I KNOW we will spend too much. I keep telling Spencer that Habitat for Humanity has a store (like a goodwill) where people donate things...it's a great way to find unique finds like lighting....or outlet covers...or even doors. He doesn't believe me. I know they have nice stuff, because Edmond contractors and lighting stores take stuff there when people return special orders or things that THEY cannot return to the manufacturer because they don't have the original packaging anymore or they have been opened. A few years ago, I knew a coworker who renovated his entire house (a two bedroom house) with all renovation station stuff. He was so giddy every time he came back from the weekend, cause he would find the quirkiest stuff....like lutron dimmers for rooms...SERIOUSLY??? do you  know how much those are? pretty pricey....but he got them for fraction of the cost, because they were probably installed and the owner didn't like them....score for him. Too bad the Habitat store is in the downtown area....but I may take my dad and take a trip down there...they actualy sell appliances and furniture too, so you never know what you're going to find. 

And this is our home...our first home. WE LOVE IT...and are in the process of re doing the rooms...alsmot done...but I want to finish all three rooms before the first reveal...stay tuned...



No comments: