I think it also helped that we didn't have children right away, so it never really felt like we had to grow up. It gave us time to help Spencer finish school, and travel, and just be friends. Actually, Spencer now tells me he misses those times when he didn't have to share me with other (little) men. But truthfully....starting a family was his idea. We were young and wild and free....it was great! I loved coming home from work and finding a home cooked meal at the table...and staying up late doing what I wanted to do. I feel like my life is now ruled by little ungrateful people. Now, as I write this, it sounds like I'm so ungrateful. Just for the record...I do want to say that I would do ANYTHING for my children- if it came to give my life for theirs...I wouldn't even think about it...but that doesn't mean I can't complain lol.
![]() |
| Dallas- I really don't know why you would need 5 cranes at the same site...must be SOME building. |
While children take your relationship to a totally different level (a good one...for most of the time)....being alone together with my hubs is so great. I notice that I smile the most when it's just the two of us. When I'm with my children, I feel constant pressure and stress to keep them safe. I feel like since I only have two, I must have extra pressure to make sure they succeed and live onto the next day lol. I am what they call a helicopter mom. I have realized that moms of large families cannot feel like this or they would go crazy. You cannot exhaust yourself daily on being hands on and making sure you are there 100% of their times, especially when they need you. There's no way to spread yourself like that among 5 little kids.
And I have realized that this is why I will never have a large family. I seriously think I would drive myself insane! I cannot just let go of things and I take things way too seriously......like when Dom tells me "mama I was calling your name why didn't you come to the toy room? I want you to play with me". It seriously breaks my heart. So...yeah...we play together A LOT. If that means the blog will not get written right this moment, or dishes will not be washed....then so be it, I will just stay up until 1 am finishing up. I do give him A LOT of my attention, especially because he asks for it. I know the more I ignore him, the more he will stop asking for me, AND THAT....will be a very sad day for me.
The one that gets the short end of the stick is Spencer. He got pushed down to the bottom of the totem pole. But I'm getting better. And he's home a lot more often, so we can stay up and talk or watch movies together...a mini date. And every once in a while, we'll go out to lunch without the kids. I really do appreciate everything he does to alleviate my day. He just recently started taking over baths or play time right before bed....helps me go to sleep earlier.
So my advice after 9 years? Always communicate and talk to each other. There is nothing off limits for us. At some point, you're going to have to talk about it, might as well be now. And take mini dates every once in a while....its nice to hold hands in public places...and I don't mean 4 yr old hands lol.
And I have realized that this is why I will never have a large family. I seriously think I would drive myself insane! I cannot just let go of things and I take things way too seriously......like when Dom tells me "mama I was calling your name why didn't you come to the toy room? I want you to play with me". It seriously breaks my heart. So...yeah...we play together A LOT. If that means the blog will not get written right this moment, or dishes will not be washed....then so be it, I will just stay up until 1 am finishing up. I do give him A LOT of my attention, especially because he asks for it. I know the more I ignore him, the more he will stop asking for me, AND THAT....will be a very sad day for me.
The one that gets the short end of the stick is Spencer. He got pushed down to the bottom of the totem pole. But I'm getting better. And he's home a lot more often, so we can stay up and talk or watch movies together...a mini date. And every once in a while, we'll go out to lunch without the kids. I really do appreciate everything he does to alleviate my day. He just recently started taking over baths or play time right before bed....helps me go to sleep earlier.
So my advice after 9 years? Always communicate and talk to each other. There is nothing off limits for us. At some point, you're going to have to talk about it, might as well be now. And take mini dates every once in a while....its nice to hold hands in public places...and I don't mean 4 yr old hands lol.
This anniversary, we went low key and went to Dallas. Spencer had promised me to take me to Ikea....and he needed a bird. And we had more things on the itinerary but Dallas traffic is insane! We wanted to go to the JFK memorial and maybe drive down to Waco to see where they film an HGTV show we like to watch and visit their little store. But after an hour of sitting in traffic, we decided to just go get lunch and go to Ikea.....but the bird was first. We arrived (3.5 hour drive) around 10:30am, and the first thing we went to, was to find that bird! I can't remember the name of it... a grey cheeked thrush? I don't know....but we looked in the area where it was spotted for over half an hour...we walked back to the nature center where they had bird feeders....and there it was. Too bad there is no picture of it, to prove it. But honestly, it looked like every bird out there...you would not have seen the difference.
While looking for it, I did notice signs stating that this was copperhead territory...so I spent most of my time looking down to make sure the snakes were not going to sneak up on us, while Spencer looked up for the bird lol. And the mosquitoes were brutal....oh man, they were so big and nasty. For some reason, they only bite me when I'm pregnant (so, nothing this time), but Spencer got some good bites. It was nice to be alone with my husband for 10 hours. We could talk all day about anything- the main reason why I married him.....and he makes me laugh.
While looking for it, I did notice signs stating that this was copperhead territory...so I spent most of my time looking down to make sure the snakes were not going to sneak up on us, while Spencer looked up for the bird lol. And the mosquitoes were brutal....oh man, they were so big and nasty. For some reason, they only bite me when I'm pregnant (so, nothing this time), but Spencer got some good bites. It was nice to be alone with my husband for 10 hours. We could talk all day about anything- the main reason why I married him.....and he makes me laugh.
We decided Waco can be done in late June since we have to drive to Austin for a family reunion- its actually a perfect stopping point. And JFK? I'm sure they will be more opportunities for that. The memorial is right in the middle of downtown....which is the most insane place to be lol....especially at lunchtime. You need a 3hr lunch window in order to account for all accidents you come across. Spencer was told recently by a job recruiter that Apple and Dell have moved here and about 1,500 people move here daily! I would love to live in a suburb but not here in the city....the three levels of interstate is too much....and the top tier is well above the tree line which makes me sick and nervous....lol.
Anyways, after the bird, it was lunch time....so best tex place? Papasitos. They make guacamole at your table and they make their own flour tortillas, right in the middle of the floor for everyone to see. Spencer ordered steak and shrimp and I ordered a burrito- which was full of meat! how refreshing...usually they fill it up with rice and beans and a bit of steak...no, this time it was full of tasty meat. It was delicious. The tortilla chips were also homemade (as well as the salsa) and it was delish. It was well worth the drive for sure, but your tummy might regret it the next day lol.
After lunch, we left for IKEA since it was on the northern most part of the city, making easy to exit and go home. I was so ready to spend all of my garage sale earnings on IKEA but as always....things online don't look as pretty or as big as in person, so I changed my mind on a lot of things. So we didn't spend very much- but we finally got a cool desk for our office and another bookcase for the toy room. Actually, I had the glass, we just needed the trestles. We also got a few misc items like frames and toys but nothing major. But on a good note- I have enough money left to buy Ethan his own mattress...so that's next on the list....after I finish my remodel of the master bath. I'm so close!
When we left IKEA, the gps on the phone was telling Spencer about all the accidents around town and to expect a 90 minute delay....so we took some small roads and the toll roads. The last thing we wanted was to wait in traffic in Dallas...at 4:30 on a Friday....not worth it. Toll roads it was for us and we got home around 7pm....so short, but it was a nice break from our kids.
My mom did request that I do not do this very often though...I believe she called my kids "nitro" and "glycerin" lol.
When we left IKEA, the gps on the phone was telling Spencer about all the accidents around town and to expect a 90 minute delay....so we took some small roads and the toll roads. The last thing we wanted was to wait in traffic in Dallas...at 4:30 on a Friday....not worth it. Toll roads it was for us and we got home around 7pm....so short, but it was a nice break from our kids.
My mom did request that I do not do this very often though...I believe she called my kids "nitro" and "glycerin" lol.







No comments:
Post a Comment