Anniversary

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

December 2, 2016

Thanksgiving 2016

This Thanksgiving, Spencer had to work (so we were not able to travel). The good thing is, that he will have the whole week of Christmas off. I'm sure we'll find something to do then.
Dom actually told me to put leaves up there...weirdo

Since he had to be at work at 5pm, we had to eat early. I volunteered to make the turkey this year. Believe it or not, we have lived in this country for almost 20 years and neither my mom nor I have EVER roasted a turkey. I guess we always go eat with friends/family, OR we just buy the one that already cooked and just warm it up. While that's great, the already cooked turkey is much smaller. Since mom was inviting two sets of missionaries over, I wasn't sure if it was going to be enough. So I just bit the bullet and bought a raw turkey. I had watched an episode of "America's Test Kitchen" (on pbs...or amazon) and they  did a Julia Child recipe. It looked so simple. All you had to do was get rid of the back bone of the turkey and place the stuffing on the bottom of the roasting pan (so it would soak up all the turkey juices from the breast and legs....it's genius. It was almost fool proof. AND the turkey cooked in three hours! I was in a time rush since Spencer had to go to work a lot sooner than I thought. What I did not anticipate...was the anxiety I got from cracking turkey bones. I really don't know what came over me. I'm usually pretty stable, AND the turkey was already dead...but for some reason, this time....cracking the turkey just made me so queasy. I kept thinking how this turkey was practically the size of either of my kids and I completely lost it. I had to take several breaks. It was awful. I had to turn on the tv to a comedy so my mind would wander somewhere else. People wonder why I don't sleep....because I get weird thoughts when I'm all alone...ugh.
 I did the prep work Wednesday night, so that I could go to the gym Thursday morning and then stick the turkey in the oven.
Num num num. It was SO easy to cut into.


More decorations....don't mind the party decor...it has to stay until the boys' birthdays.

The day started with watching the Thanksgiving Day Parade, going to the gym, roasting a turkey, getting dressed, and spending the rest of the day with my parents. Since I did the turkey, my mom did all the sides. Has anybody ever tried to put half and half on mashed potatoes (instead of milk)? Is that like a big secret? Nobody has ever told me this, but this time, I had half and half lying around and I gave it to my mom to put in the mashed potatoes....OH. MY. GOSH. They were SO good. Why didn't anybody ever tell me that?! I'm sure it's a bit unhealthy....but I mean, is anything about thanksgiving healthy?...except maybe the actual turkey?
The glass block didn't get the memo that it's nto Vday anymore....oops

It was simple and fast. This year, even though I did not have Spencer with me, I went black Friday shopping. My kids fell asleep at my mom's house around 7 pm! They never do that....but of course, today they did. So, I took my older brother and hit Walmart and Target to see what we could find. By this time, it's like 9 pm...so it's three hours past opening time. I figured the rush would be almost over.  Walmart still had so much stuff left! I think people finally realized you can get most of the stuff online. There were a few items that were "surprises" to me, that I did not see online. For one, I saw a 1,500 piece Lego box for $30!!!.....HELLO?!? Why was THIS still here? Do people know HOW much these things cost? The 750 pc is at least $35 and you would get twice as many with this deal (they also had the DUPLO version- I think it was 400 pcs for the same $30).I'm not sure what people were thinking. I took one immediately. I price checked it, to make sure it was going to ring up at $30 (and not $80 like amazon.com said it was). Once I was sure...that's the only thing I walked out with...haha. I went back online later that day and could not find this thing anywhere....so it was an only store deal. The other stuff, was....stuff you can live without. I was looking for a bike or a scooter for Dom....but when I saw the legos, I figured he would like that a lot better.
the only decorations my children are aloowed to play with are gel clings....and they never last. 

Then we hit Target. They had cuter stuff, but again....nothing I really needed. Most of the TVs and door busters were there. It probably meant, again, people just shopped online. I was able to find the Finding Dory bluray for $10. It was $10 on amazon.com, but they sold out super fast, and the waiting list said it would be in stock Dec 1st, and it would ship then....what a rip off.
I was also looking for the Beauty and Beast for $10 but never found it, and it was not online....it's so hard to find Disney movies on sale like this....it's usually on my Black Friday list. This is the only time, where I can buy Disney blurays this cheap.
That "thankful" sign is reversible (it has a xmas saying in the back). 

I love Thanksgiving. I got sad this year because so many stores completely skipped the holiday. Target, as soon as Halloween was over, they just put up Christmas stuff. When I asked the cashier where all the Thanksgiving decor was, she said "we put it out with the Halloween stuff".....it was seriously like half an aisle, and it got lost in all the Halloween stuff. Also, because we are a super target, we are also a "model" store- meaning they try things with us first. This year, they decided to do fall holidays together,and then Christmas all alone. I think it was successful- because a  lot of the Christmas decor they put at the front was gone the minute they put it out. So if your target does the same thing next year....now you know...it was because of us.
 I guess I feel like Christmas is just so commercial this days....I love the decor as much as anyone, but I wish Thanksgiving got the proper respect. Maybe it's because I didn't grew up in this country...but I love everything Thanksgiving stands for....being grateful for everything we do have, and having good company to share good food with. I feel like Christmas gets lost in translation because Santa overpowers the birth of our Savior most of the time. Everyone is so concerned with gifts, and parties, and gingerbread houses, and light show home competitions and whatever.....but Thanksgiving...is so simple. All it is...is spending time with family, sitting around the fire trading stories, playing football, watching the parade....I love it. Even though most of us spend all day cooking, it's one of the most relaxed holidays. Christmas builds up right after Halloween and we are bombarded with stores telling us we need this , and that, and sales here and there AND free shipping...all they way up the Christmas Day...it's exhausting! For once, I would like to stick to my Christmas list and not feel like maybe I didn't get enough.....and for my oldest kid to not tell me everyday "I want this....I'ma ask Santa for that".....
I made that! It was so much burlap too haha. Next time, I'll have a xmas one too.

This year, the LDS church launched #lightoftheworld message and advent calendar of service ( a kids' version here). We have every intention as a family to actually do it. I've read all of the days' services and they are SO doable. I think it would be a great way for Dom to see that Christmas is not really about asking for stuff, but also about giving stuff AND especially serving other people.  Every year, in his school, they adopt families for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Families, who otherwise, would not get a meal or presents. For Thanksgiving- it's mostly canned items. For Christmas, they make a tree with post it notes (things the family wants/needs) and you get to pick a post it and wrap that present and bring it back. The school will deliver them. They are actually okay with gently used items as well (in case they are asking for clothes). Dom has been more involved this year, than last. He picked out the gift, and he knows that it's not for him. I will probably go buy it (because I do not DARE take him to the toy aisle for fear of a breakdown...baby steps haha). But I will make him wrap it and decorate it, and he will take it back, along with the food items we promised to bring. It's so nice to know that whatever little we give, it will make someone very happy. I keep telling Dom that, but I'm not sure if he actually understands it. Kids here are so privileged, they don't even realize it.
I'm grateful that my husband has a good job and is able to support all of us, and I'm grateful for all the material things we have.....but most importantly, I'm most most grateful for all the things money can't buy.....healthy kids, good family relationships, being close to family, good friends, my own health, my spiritual well-being, my husband.
Teh hubs took the original pic

Let's be better this year, and not concentrate on gifts, or sales (which I am SO guilty of)....Let's remember the Reason for the Season.

No comments: