In May 2011, after several negative tests, I decided to visit to the doctor, complaining of numbness in my fingers and being tired all the time. After a couple of days of waiting on test results, We were told we were pregnant and to visit the OBGYN inmediately.
By this time I was almost done with the 3rd trimester. I've always watched that show on TLC "I didn't know I was pregnant" and thought "what is wrong with these women? how can they not know?". Now, it was my turn. No real symptons to identify it and several negative pregnancy tests led me to believe that maybe I had a thyroid problem (which the doctor believed as well). How weird was the sensation to know that they was something growing inside of you and you not even be aware of it....it's like those alien movies we watch all the time.
Our first ultrasound (about 11 weeks) was pretty cool and I was lucky enough for Spencer to attend every single ultrasound and appointment. The pregnancy was actually pretty easy going. Hardly any of the effects everyone talks about. I only had numb fingers in the morning.I quit my job at around 6 months to prepare for the baby, but at this point I was not even big and felt great.
For the 21 week ultrasound, we could not wait to see how the baby had developed. Again, Spencer was able to attend. We even got a 4D picture but I must warn you the baby looks like a leathery pig. He didn't have any fat yet:
The last three weeks of pregnancy I blew up so much. I was gaining like 7 lbs a week. I am still not sure how my body was able to handle that. I was ready for this baby to come out.
Due Date: 12/14/11. I went to the OBGYN for the last time on 12/09 (Friday) and he advised since I was not close to dilating that I had to be induced on Monday 12/11 and get the baby out within a 24 hour period. He also said since I had narrow hips that the birth might be difficult and to consider the possibility of a C section, if normal birth was not possible.
Spencer had told me from the beginning to expect the unexpected. Too many women expect a certain birth and child, and become disapointed when the plan does not go as planned. He also made me watch a lot of birth shows and told me that childbirth would be very painful and to brace myself for it. I know he did it for my own good. I would have rather gone in the room thinking the worst and come out better than expected, than for this to be the worst experience of my life because I thought it was gonna be great and it turned out to be hell.
We left for the hospital on 12/12 and showed up at the hospital at 7pm. I was the only girl in the OB unit at that time. It was great! I had all the nurses and the dr's attention. They tried to make me dilate, which did not work. It only made the baby's heartbeat go up. They took me off the meds and told me they could not give me any medicine until his heartbeat stabilized. During this time, they kept giving me IV fluids, which I was not aware of, was making me even BIGGER, I was stretching like a ballon.
I dilated all thru the night, not feeling a single thing. At about 2 pm I was fully dilated and was told to push. Spencer says I only pushed for 2 hours, I say 3hours. I only know that time slowed down for me. Finally, the doctor told me that due to my narrow hips, he could either suction the baby out (but could not guarantee it would work) or do the C section. The last thing I wanted to do was push, and told him to do the C section.

No comments:
Post a Comment