We had known about the open temple house for a while, but Spencer had really shown no interest. He felt because he went to so many church history sites when younger, he was just over all of it. He really does not care for them. I, on the other hand, since I've lived in another country for half my life, have never really been to a church site except the San Diego visitor center back in 1994 on our way to Disneyland.
I was not really sure about going. If Spencer is not into it, it's kinda hard to have a good time. But I did tell him about me wanting to just see what everyone was so excited about. You have to understand, growing up in the mexican culture, nobody really instigated in me to go see these sites. I guess because most people don't really leave the country, it's just okay to be okay with the fact that you will never visit any US church sites.So, nobody even really talks about it. Back in the day, it was a hassle for my parents to go the Mexico City temple. They had to get buses so it would be cheaper for everyone and we had to stay with relatives (gas is VERY expensive in other parts of the world and most people do not really own cars anyways) and they had to spend a couple of nights there (the MC temple has dorms where people can stay to make it cheaper and motivate ppl to go). I can only remember about 3 times they actually went to the temple while we stayed with family.
I moved here when I was 12 and honestly I don't remember even talking about half of the sites that people visit in Missouri. I haven't even been to Nauvoo yet nor heard of it until maybe about 5 years ago. I'm not trying to excuse myself but I do want people to understand why maybe I am not into the church as everyone else. I didn't grow up wanting to visit cementaries, or church sites, so it's hard for me to change my mind about some things. However, I do enjoy history in general and find it interesting, especially when it's about people you have heard about.
So, on we went to Kansas City. I drove, of course. Spencer was not in a good mood and tired from working the night before. we got there at about 1pm, before anyone else. Spencer and Dom slept pretty much all day. Until everyone else arrived.
Once everyone gathered, we visited the visitor's center, liberty jail, and then the open house at the temple. After less than 24 hrs, the rest of the family left and it was just us three.
The open house was pretty cool. I had never been to one, so I wasn't sure what to expect with a 4mo old in my arms. But Dom was so good, he's such a good baby. I'm so blessed.
It was such a cool experience to see the temple before being dedicated. The grounds are so pretty (as always) and it's next to the stake center which is pretty cool. I was glad to see that Spencer did have a good time. I do believe both our testimonies grew.Spencer did like seeing his extended family too. It's been like 10 years (even more) since he's seen them. After that was done, we all went to go get lunch (minus Joseph and fam- they had a long drive ahead of them) and went to buffalo wild wings. People were skeptical , but ended up liking the place.
Spencer and I didn't really have any plans about what to visit. SO, we did a spur of the moment thing and headed for zona rosa (the IT place to be on friday night). Its like an outdoor mall, it was pretty cool and soooo busy. Spencer shopped for him and I shopped for Dom. Honestly, babygap has the CUTEST clothes, I don't know how I overlooked it. He got a cute onesie and a swimming shirt since we're going to pensacola later in the year for Spence's bday. I prob only spent like $8 at BABYGAP. How great is that?? We even took the jogging stroller out for Dom to enjoy the nice weather in, and he loved it, he was smiling and gurgling with all the strangers. This kid loves to travel. I can see it- he's at his best when he's not in st charles.
At around 8pm, we went for some pizza. I wanted something different so we went to a place called stonecanyon pizza. SO GOOD! I mean, I don't know what they make st louis pizzas with, but this pizza was amazing. REAL cheese, tiny chopped veggies....so great. the crust was just perfect- not too thin, not too thick. Then we headed back home and we got lost. It took about 15min to get us back on track. It was just so dark...
The next morning (sat) we hit downtown area and the city market. SO FUN....there were Amish people selling all kinds of stuff and people selling chickens and free range eggs, and all kinds of herbs and homemade breads and jams. I love markets...reminds me of when my mom used to take us to the market when we were little.
So, anyways, then we went to the oklahoma joe's bbq place that EVEYRONE talks about on the ghetto Kansas side. It was at a gas station of all places. The food was okay, I still think Pappy's by SLU is so much better. They have baked potatoes and they put whatever you want on them. In Ok joe's- no potatoes.LAME
so, at about noon we came back and everything is now back to normal...until we get ready for our next adventure!

No comments:
Post a Comment