As we approach the 11th anniversary of that dreaded day tomorrow, I would like to think that we've changed for the better because of it. I remember walking to AP European History class (2nd hour) and remember people talking in the hallway...something about a small plane hitting a tower in NYC. The only thing I was worried about was the fact that I just knew we were having a pop quiz that day. Once I entered the room, I remember seeing Ms. Harrold sobbing and turning on her tv and let us watch the evens unfold with her. Once I was able to assess the situation, I remember being scared and wanting to go home to my mommy. I felt so vulnerable and so lost. At the same time so angry...Why is this happening here? this is something that happens in other countries...not here. It's like the OKC bombing all over again...but like X10.
If I was feeling like this, I can't imagine what NYC residents were feeling like that day. I can't imagine standing on the same street that housed the twin towers for so long watching them go down like they were a house of cards. I remember the screaming on tv. I remember seeing what I thought (at the time) were birds falling....later to be bodies from the towers. I can't imagine how awful and desperate these souls felt knowing that these were their last minutes on Earth and they decided to take their last minutes into their own hands. I remember the ash cloud that covered all of NYC and thought we were gonna lose the island for good. It looked...post-apocalyptic....and later that day, hearing about the Pentagon and Pennsylvania tragedies.
I was watching some new released footage on the Nat Geo and Discovery Channels last night about the 911 calls and let me tell you...it gave me chills....and I felt angry. I felt angry that it took so long for these to be finally released. why does our nation insists on hiding things for "our protection"..why don't they let us decide? I feel like the families of the victims should have been shown these a long time ago to help with the coping process. And it made me angry at the Father for letting such a tragedy occur. I still feel this people were not at fault and thier families should not have to suffer for it. But I have to keep reminding myself...that there is a plan. Right? There has to be. Maybe it was part of the pride cycle that we keep talking about in church. Did we get to prideful as a nation? Did it teach us anything? Because I feel like it got us nowhere. Sure, it scared us all 11 years ago, but we're back to where we were. We're suppose to be "brothers and sisters" and instead we find ourselves fighting and arguing over the stupidest things. Why can't we be tolerant and loving towards one another? What are we wating for...another tragedy? I feel like it's only when we remember (yearly) that our hearts are softened towards one another...and that to me...it's not good enough. I am reminded of a John Lennon Song during these hard times:
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people living life in peace
You, you may say
I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will be as one
Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people sharing all the world
You, you may say
I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will live as one

No comments:
Post a Comment