Anniversary

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

September 5, 2012

Labor Day Weekend

Let me start off by saying...that I need a vacation from this vacation. It was so exhausting. I think now that Dom is older and wanting to be running around is just too much for me. We decided to go back to Pensacola Beach FL because Spencer loved it. He swears that FL beaches are better than CA beaches. The water was really warm for sure. I remember CA beaches are usually cold, but here in FL...you can easily dive in and you don't feel like you'll get hypothermia.
We arrived midday on Thursday, and people were starting to arrive for the weekend. However, because people were expecting Issac, there were hardly any people there. I guess they wanted to make sure he was really gone. The first thing we did was hit the beach....after all that's all we came for. Dom loved it. He is such a water baby. He was unsure at first since the waves hit him with a bit of force....but once he got used to it...he actually ran toward them. It was hard to let him go...you had to constantly watch him. He would also keep putting his head in the water...which freaked me out. He would laugh it off, but I didn't think that was very funny. Then it occured to me, that Spencer had goggles on and was dunking his head in the water, and that's probably why he kept doing it.
He still likes the pool better...so much more calmer. That night Dom was playing around the AC and he got a sore throat...let me tell you...it was a great night for all of us. The hotel was kind enough to let us borrow a pack-n-play and the only stroller in the three hotels.(apparently they are all sister hotels-hampton, hilton and holiday inn). Didn't matter- Dom never slept in the pack n play, he slept with us in the king size bed....which was actually kinda nice. I barely felt him, except when he kicked me.

On Friday, we found a bay where all the kids go....it's not deep at all and the only waves come from the boats far away...and there were fishies all around sucking on your toes everytime you disturbed the sand. That was something different. Dom actually liked that better because he could actually reach the floor and he moved the float himself...he would walk sideways...and dissapear in no time. I had to constantly keep looking back for him. We also bought a little bucket and scoop for the sand. We tried to take as little as possible to the beach, because I fear people will take our stuff. WELL....I had literally put down the bucket like 5 seconds...walked back to get something...turned around and it was gone. I WAS SO MAD!....then i look next to me and there's these kids playing with "what looked like my bucket" and other things trying to catch fish. I had to go over there...i didn't want her to think it was okay to take my stuff. I politely went over there and said "hey love did you find that by the beach by the stroller? (silence) well, if you did it's mine...and i'm looking for it...so if it is, just give it back whenever your done okay?"...she looked at me like i was crazy...she musta been like 12 yrs old.  Eventually after like 20minutes she came over and gave it back when Dom and I were building castles with our bare hands....I think she felt bad. She didn't even say sorry or nothing. but whatever...I got it back. Really people???  I don't mind sharing, but don't just take it!These were the same people that brought a super big smoker to the beach....had a dj with some really noisy speakers....brought A PARROT...yes a cuckatoo with his own tree! (which by the way would not shut up and was spooking the sea gulls)....and they were loud. I guess labor day just attracts the wrong kind of people. They were really the only ones like that...really? brining your parrot??? he couldn't stay home??
So, that was the only time we went to the bay. The rest of the time, we just went to the Hampton Inn part of the beach....cause by the pier....it was really busy. By the hotels...it really wasn't bad. And people were a lot nicer, the kids were nicer to Dom. Dom really liked the kids...he kept going over to see what each kid was doing in the sand....and then ate it. I had to keep apologizing...but they thought it was funny. He kept going after a group of girls that kept moving away from him. poor guy!

 
When Dom is really happy...he talks a lot. I love this picture because he is actually talking to me....like having a conversation. I have no idea what he was telling me, but he thought it was important enough for me to know. I tried to listen and answer back, and he just giggled. He's so funny sometimes. This only lasted like 30 seconds, he saw some kids and started to go after them. I'm easily replaceable I guess.
Labor day we went to the pier. There is really nothing there except benches for people to sit and fish. they can actually set you up to fish (with all bait and equipment) for about $19 a person...which is not bad. We saw people catching fish but only got it on video, not stills. maybe next time. They were weird looking fish. I personally would not eat the fish due to the oil spills...but these people were going crazy and filling up huge coolers.

That night, we went to Hooters...because I wanted to go to a chain restaurant..and believe it or not...this is the only one on the island. you have to go back to the inland (and pay a toll of $1 go get back in...LAME). It was okay. I actually did not have the chicken wings...because i was fed up with chicken...that's all i've been eating for the past 3 days...i thought i was actually growing feathers!!...and everything is battered and fried...and that really makes me sick...especially when you eat it everyday. For lunch we actually went to Walmart and gathered some munchies so we didn't have to eat out...mainly because fast food makes me sick really fast. so sandwiches for lunch, and chicken for dinner. So, anyways, HOOTERS it was. Dom was mesmerized by the girls...silly boy. I did catch him staring at the girl taking our order. I had a quesadilla...which was too salty for my taste and SPencer had a burger and he said that it was just okay. So, i guess if you go, only go for chicken wings. We did find a pizza place that was really good...Papa's pizza- its a small chain only in the pensacola area, but very good. That was my favorite dinner.
                                       SPencer thought it was funny that Dom was staring.
 
On tuesday, our flight left at 3pm, so we hit the beach real quick in the morning. Since it had stormed the night before the sand moved around. There was a spot right across from us where the water was only inches deep for quite a bit aways. That's where we took Dom to get wet and he loved it. He kept crawling back and forth. People were looking for seashells. We tried,but didn't really find any cool ones. I still have sand from last time. We had a hard time bringing back home so I decided to not do it this time around. Also, after breakfast we went to get our swimsuits and Spencer's had blown over into the tree outside our balcony. I had to go out into the pool area, had Spencer direct me to where they were and then I had to grab that long stick they use in the pool and tried to save his shorts from the tree. WHILE everyone that was eating breakfast was looking at me....yeah.
                                                           Spencer and Dom's feet.

All in all, good trip. People are nice...overall. You got those crazy wackos..but honestly, I don't think those people even live there. Spencer keeps saying he would like a family reunion here, but knowing all the Coffeys...that would be nearly impossible...but it's okay to dream. They do have rental houses all over the island and you can choose how long you want to rent for, so you could easily put multiple families in a home.
(sigh)...now we gotta get ready to go to Austin soon....traveling sure is hard work. I told Spencer this is our last trip.I need to rest and Dom needs some stability. His schedule gets all wacked out when we travel and he ends up eating junk food just like us anyways. We ALL need to start eating healthier....but that's another story for another day.

2 comments:

Mandy Coffey said...

you handled that beach bucket thing really well. I can picture myself with two reactions, giving them the death glare the rest of our stay, or marching over and demanding she give it back right then and there LOL

Music City Coffeys said...

Well...I saw it first and then made the mistake of telling Spencer...and he got MAD...and then he told me to go get it back...ah. because it was for poor Dominic..that's my husband(can you tell i'm the one that calls the customer service when there's a problem? haha) So, I coudn't back down after the guilt trip...and so I went. But yeah...I wanted to rip her weave out...but you know..whatever.