Anniversary

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

October 23, 2013

MFHD

As a mom of an almost two year old, you would have thought that I knew what I was doing....or at least be able to pretend like I do. Every time I am faced with a sick child, I freak out.....never gets old. Probably because I already know what's coming- no sleeping, no eating, and a bit of crankiness....oh! Baby gets cranky too. Haha

Dom was getting up about twice a night for the past week, and wasn't really eating. So, I assumed it was because he was hungry, so he was given milk (sometime water- but he let me know that this was not ok). Therefore, he would pee a lot more....and the cloth diapers didn't stand a chance. It has been over a year, since I've used them, BUT had a few overnight disposables from his baby days....yes, they still fit...how sad is that? He's got his daddy's bum.....or lack of.
So, I put on the disposable, and the next morning, I noticed a weird rash. It just looked different....like pimples. I wanted to stop using them, but he drank so much....and it was starting to get cold at night...and I felt so bad for him when I would check on him and be soaked all the way to his neck. So, I disregarded my thoughts, and kept using the disposables. He also had a low fever. Well, by the third night....his bum was horrible. I took a pic, but I"ll spare you. It had spread and it looked like the pimples had popped or something...and the middle of them were raw. It sucked to do diaper changes....
I decided to call a doctor who would see him that day.  At this point, I was so frustrated- I have had no sleep, I felt horrible that I had no idea what was going on. I was more frustrated at the fact that my husband had no idea what was going on. You would think having a future nurse practitioner in the house would help me feel safer. But every time I ask Spencer to look at something, he tells me he has no idea what he's looking at...AARGH.

So, after calling 6 offices, I found a doctor who could see him at 3pm ( I called at noon). Dom didn't nap in order to go...and he wasn't happy. But we made it, and after filling out thousands of info pages, and giving up my soul (just kidding...but seriously...so much is asked for), Dom was seen around 4:15pm. No pics exist because, by this point I'm freaking out, and I forgot my camera. The icing on the cake, was when we were waiting in the room for the doctor. I noticed his leg had bumps....almost like tiny mosquito bites....bright red.  Then, I remembered this show "monsters inside me" on animal planet (or netflix). Basically, it's real stories about people who have had parasites and symptoms they showed. The red bumps seem to always be on there. AAAH...I really should not be watching that show. Anyone that does, will probably never go to public places again, including the park. And let their kids walk around barefoot- worst mistake ever. 

The doctor seriously saw us for like 10 min tops, and came to the conclusion that he had mouth, hand, foot disease. I guess, we figured, that after the ward activity on Saturday, and his allergic reactions to the cookies- his immune system was compromised. He probably picked up the virus on Sunday, during nursery. It incubated for three days...which leads us to the fever and outbursts on Wednesday. We saw the doctor on Friday. It just worked out....perfectly for the virus.

She told me that this being a virus, there is no cure. It just needs to take its course. But ibuprofen can be taken for fever and pain. The bum rash ended up being a yeast infection, and gave him a cream for that. I guess that's common side effect, but she says the disposables probably didn't help him either ( no more disposables in this house). Knowing now what Dom had, I felt so bad. I had no idea his situation was far more serious than I thought. He actually had ulcers in his throat- that's why he was not eating. The bumps were just the battle scars his little body was producing from the internal fight taking place. He actually lost 3 pounds. I know it's not much, but considering he was 20lbs at the year mark, and he's only 23 lbs right now...it's sad. All In all, he was a trooper. I would have complained more..much more. All he asked for...was to be cuddled. And that's what we did. I felt so terrible that I was so mad about not sleeping, when he was in much worse shape than I was. He needs to communicate better haha... We're working on it...hey! He's starting to put words together.

Today, the bumps never made it past his extremities, and they are actually dried and scabbed over. Fever never returned. yesterday, he ate lunch and dinner, and was running around like his old self again. So, I guess when we took him to the doctors, was peak time from the virus. For now, I think the virus has been conquered, but we're now fighting something else. We've been outside a lot, due to Spencer taking  online midterms (and not being allowed to be in the house). I think we got a cold of some sort....so now neither one of us feels good. THIS SUCKS! Where is MY mommy? Now, I'm sick, but I gotta take care of Dom. I feel like I got the short end of the stick.
sometimes....being sick sucks.....

No comments: