The ward does a huge party to celebrate this. Everyone gets to represent their country and bring artifacts, and food from that country. Then, it turns into a competition- who's got the best decorations, the best food, best talent portion of the show....yeah, there's a talent show too...and games where countries are represented by single individuals. This particular year, the ward has had the most number of Americans ever, so they asked Spencer if he would organize and put together the USA table. He hesitated, due to incoming midterms, but I told him to say yes, and I would do it. They didn't want to ask me because they thought I would represent Mexico. In all honesty, I consider myself American first and foremost....besides I got no idea how to cook Mexican haha. So, Spencer said yes, but I put everything together. We have about 4 families in the ward that speak English as their first language plus our missionaries, who are always willing to help.
I made decorations, bought a tablecloth and food. What kind of food represents the US you say? I wanted something easy to make and easy to clean. I was not about to slave away in the kitchen all day, like the Mexicans and Hondurans did. I settled on hot dogs, mini corn dogs, cookies, cheesecake, and good old fashioned root beer. That's America for you baby! I bought 5 lbs of mini corn dogs, a bag of mozzarella sticks ( I honestly thought the 5lbs were not going to be enough...I was told this event attracted a lot of inactives AND investigators alike) and the the root beer. Another family offered to bring a popcorn machine. So awesome!! I mean, who just happens to have a real popcorn machine lying around....like the one at the movies....so cool. They are my new best friends. Sister M is also an ER doctor, which totally makes her a superwoman. Anyways, they also brought 5 lbs of steamed hot dogs, buns, and sauces. Another brother brought cheesecake, and we were good to go.
It was suppose to start at 6pm, but that's when I actually arrived to set up....and hardly anyone was there. Come to find out....Hispanic Mormon time is bad.....super bad. My corn dogs got cold.
It was suppose to start at 6pm, but that's when I actually arrived to set up....and hardly anyone was there. Come to find out....Hispanic Mormon time is bad.....super bad. My corn dogs got cold.
Then disaster struck- literally like 20 min til 7pm, Dom ate a cookie that Spencer had given him. Normally, I ask what's in it before I just give it to my child. I usually taste his food first. This time...I did not. Like 5 minutes after he swallowed the cookie....he threw up....bad....all over me and behind the food table. We cleaned it up and Spencer tasted the cookie......(dum dum dum)....PEANUT BUTTER. Agh! I was so mad at myself.
Dom is intolerant to PB. There is a big difference between being intolerant and being allergic, I came to find out. The medical community (aka my husband and sister M) believes an allergy causes anaphylactic shock...something you would use an epi pen for....you know..closed airways, you blow up like a ballon. Most people have intolerances- they vomit, get rashes....that sort of thing. But it's not deadly...just sucks.
So, Dom tired himself out from throwing up,so he fell asleep for like 30 min. Once he woke up within a couple of minutes he did it again. Spencer decided to take him home, because he was itching pretty bad. So, the boys left me to fend for myself. So, bro M and I managed the table while everyone else went to try other foods. Most of them, never came back. So, I never actually got to sample anything. And honestly, food was making me sick...all I could smell was throw up. Sorry, I know, too much TMI.
I thought our table was going to be a bust, but come to find out, we were the favorite among the younger crowd. Kids loved the mini corn dogs and mozzarella sticks. To them, this was probably gourmet food. The Mexican kids probably looked at their table and said..."phht we eat that every day...let's go to the US table and get some nitrates!" It was great. The loved the popcorn too. We had a line of at least 10 people for like an hour. It was nonstop. I thought it was funny when moms approached the table and kept asking what that (pointing to the corn dogs) was. Others kept confusing them with chicken nuggets (also a great idea! why didn't I think of that?)
So, I really didn't have a lot to eat. When it came time for the talent show portion, I got to dance for Mexico with some young women and another sister. I'm not gonna lie....I had a blast. Then the other countries did their thing and next thing I knew it was 9:30pm. It was suppose to end at 9pm...and we weren't even halfway done. I called the hubs to check up on dom and he was back to normal...he just needed a shower. They came back to pick me up. In the meantime, I cleaned the table as much as I could, and washed all the serving stuff and made everyone a pile of the stuff they brought. Apparently it ended around 11pm, midnight for those that had to stay and clean the building.
Sometimes The Lord knows why he does things, and it's so clueless to us. I now see...why he brought me here. These people have a sense of community that I had never really felt before. And totally took us in without reservations. They are the most humble people that I have met in my entire life. They don't have a lot, but at the same time, they have it all. I love seeing the youth with such firm feet on the ground. I was so flaky when I was their age. Their testimony is so basic, but oh so real. I am glad we are here, I have made so many new friends, moms and young women alike. Wouldn't trade this experience for the world, and I'm thankful to have finally found my little place in the world...where I can say that I truly belonged.
![]() |
| NOT how to stuff a piƱata. But I loved the murals....they hand painted those for the occasion. Who has time for that? |
![]() |
| Right after his first episode. Poor guy! |
![]() |
| Our table. Definitely for the younger crowd. |




No comments:
Post a Comment