This year, there was too much going on to plan a whole lot during the Halloween season. Spencer had midterms, so we couldn't go to the pumpkin patch like I wanted . Nashville also had a Dia de Los Muertos festival on nov 2nd- was really looking forward to it, especially cause I may never have the chance to see one again here in Nashville....but we didn't go because Spencer has a big paper to write and it's due pretty soon. So, basically, it was pretty mundane. Dom and I managed to go after Halloween shopping though.
We did get a chance to go trick or treating though. Nashville had terrible rain storms on Halloween- with thick fog, and whistling trees- I'm not gonna lie...it was pretty cool and scary...especially because it was Halloween night. The next night, a lot of people in the nearby town of Mt. Juliet decided that they would try to re do Halloween, so we headed that way. We chose a nice neighborhood but it was kinda dark, so it was very hard to see. We were almost done with the cul de sac, when Dom fell forward from the stroller and his nose hit the concrete. He cried pretty loud- a rare occurrence, so I knew it was bad. He was literally inches from the ground when he fell, but I'm sure it was painful none the less. I could feel I had blood on my hands, and we decided to rush to the car to see if it was super serious- like a broken nose.
The whole way to the car, he was squeezing me pretty tight....I thought he was going to choke me. When we reached the car, he had stopped crying. I gave him a twix and proceeded to inspect the nose. It was gooey and had a clear gel over it, and a bit of blood...but nothing that looked that we needed to go to the ER. "This only means one thing", said the nurse practioner (the hubs). "His epidermis must have been ripped off, and the body is trying to protect the layer". I just heard " his skin came off" and I think my heart skipped a beat. I don't think I'll have anymore kids, this is too much for me. I seriously think of Dom as a porcelain doll, and anything that happens to him....it's almost like I lose a piece of my heart. Is this how all moms feel....or is this just overprotective me? Does it ever get easier?
Anyways, we came home, and with some good lighting, I gave baby a bath and put some anti itch ointment. He had a small bump in his forehead, but that looked like a minor scrape. The top of the nose was still oozing. I tried to just put water on it. Dom didn't seem to mind, but I wasn't going to push my luck...I didn't touch it. I didn't even pat it dry, just went right ahead and put the ointment on and by then, he was happy again. Its almost like he had forgotten about it. He was all about the pail of candy.
 |
| forgot all about his bruises |
In the morning, it had finally scabbed over. The skin had darkened and it looked almost burnt. That night (Saturday) we had our ward's trunk or treat. Everyone kept asking if he was okay.. apparently, it looked a lot worse than it was.
And that is how we spent the Halloween weekend....next: to prepare for thanksgiving dinner.
UPDATE: I forgot to include Spencer's awesome pumpkin carving skills...he pointed it out. Sorry, buddy!
Spencer carved the whole pumpkin this year....because Dom and I...well, we were just not interested. haha....but it turned out great....and then after Halloween, Spencer baked it and made us pumpkin puree....which is awesome for the upcoming holiday meals.
 |
| Dom was not interested.... |
 |
| still not interested... |
 |
| final product. |
1 comment:
POOR DOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how sad! I'm not even his mother and this made me cringe! I hate it when they're too young to totally explain what hurts and where so you have to do the guess work. Hopefully it doesn't leave any scars...?
As marsha on the brady bunch would say "now he'll never be a teen model!" lol ;)
Post a Comment