Dom has been on a bit of a roller coaster ride recently. As soon as we moved here about 6months ago, he stopped sleeping thru the night. I mean he would sleep 9pm- 9pm with a 3hr nap..it was heaven. I finally got to catch up on things. BUT recently, this stopped. He was started to wake up around midnight and again around 4am. It was driving me crazy. I thought a lot of things- teething, night terrors, not eating enough, etc....I practically slept in his room for the past 5 months. Then, we went to my parents for the holidays and I guess that disrupted the sleep pattern even more. What was worse, it disrupted his potty schedule too. He was constantly trying to keep it in, until he could no more- 3 days later. Here's a kid that would go at least once a day, and all of a sudden he's only going every 3 days....that's got to hurt. When we finally came home, it took us about 3 weeks to get back into the groove of things. He is finally sleeping thru the night again (knock on wood) and potty is back on track. I talked to his Nurse practitioner at the 2 yr. appt and she said that its actually quite common for kiddos to break the cycle at 18months to 2 years- that's when they start to fear things, and night terrors happen. I figured that's what it was...I'm still not sure. I just know that when I slept with him the rest of the night....he hardly woke up at all. Glad to report....that ride is over.
He knows a lot of body parts and when mentioned he will point to them and say "right there" (all he really says is "car" and "right there"). He used to say much more, and then we moved and he like totally stopped. I am starting to wonder, if the move really affected him much more deeply than I thought.
We're still working on the potty training. He doesn't get it...haha. For the life of him he won't sit down....he just doesn't. But that's just life for us- Dom never SITS...not when he eats, not when we go shopping...I don't know...he just doesn't. Not even the IPAD helps anymore. He'll just take it and run. I think we might have to try a new strategy of going #1 standing up....I figured this is the only way it's going to work. I pulled out the training pants and plan to get down and dirty...soon. I just need like 7 days when I'm NOT doing anything at all, cause I don't want him in any kind of underwear so we can just get this down. I've tried several strategies, and this seems more logical to us....of course, every child is different and learns at different rates. For what it's worth- I scored some free potty training sticker and calendar, along with some training pants. We'll see where we go from here.
Recently, Dom got a little stepstool. AND HE LOVES IT....he figured it out Immediately. He knew that if he climbed on it, he could reach the sink to wash his own hands. We take hand washing seriously around here... every time we come back from somewhere and when its time to eat. He loves playing with the soap dispenser and water, I figured I would take advantage of it....especially with the flu season going on. One time (it was too fast for me to take a pic)...he opened the bathroom door and climbed all the way up to the sink. he figured he would open the below-sink counters, get on the stepstool, joist up on the counters, and sit next to the sink....imagine my surprise. He was playing with the soap and water.
All in all, he's a joy. He loves watching anything having to do with letters. His new favorite show on Netflix is "superwhy" (also on PBS)...and the leap frog adventures. He likes imitating the sound. I just don't understand why he won't actually talk...he likes making the letter sounds though. We have an appointment with a speech therapist soon and maybe we'll get some answers....we'll see for now.
He's my little buddy, and even though shopping has become quite a challenge, I wouldn't have it any other way....except when I'm really tired haha. He loves to climb from the cart to the actual cart seat...and vice versa....never sits still. And then he'll come down and just run away from me. He's such a busybody...but we love him even more because of it!
| Watching tv on a cold morning. |

No comments:
Post a Comment