Anniversary

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

April 27, 2014

Birthplace of Rock n' Roll

This past Thursday, we decided to take an impromptu trip to Memphis. Spencer is off from school until next week, and this was really the only time we could do it, so off we went. I'm a huge history buff- I really wanted to see the motel where MLK was shot, and Graceland. Spencer found out that the Memphis zoo actually had a pair of pandas,so it was added to the list.
Ready for an adventure!

It took us about 3 hours to get there. We left at 5am (we were suppose to leave at 4am but we forgot to load up on gas, and the stroller needed air on the tires). Spencer had also found a place where he could find new birds. So, that was the first place we hit since it was so early. The place ended up being behind a sewage treatment plant of some sort...cause it STANK.....I'm surprised the birds didn't have three legs and four eyes.  He found about 5 new species, including some weird ducks. Around 9am, he headed off to the zoo.
Dom decided to drive since Daddy was distracted
Ready for the zoo
 
Oddly enough, Memphis is one of only four zoos in the US to house Pandas....why? Not sure. It's not a big zoo. But the information page said they work closely with the San Diego zoo (which I'm sure has pandas too). We walked for about 3 hours looking at everything, but Dom was only interested in the playground and the fountains. I had to keep telling him that they were not to splash in....they were just to look at. He didn't like that. But once he saw the pandas.....he paid attention. He's been watching Kung Fu Panda recently and it must have been weird to see the real life thing. He kept staring at it....as he ate (cause really...that's all they do). They had two of them- YeYe and LeLe. They try to keep pairs together in hopes that they will breed....but hasn't happened....and actually, it's quite rare for pandas to naturally procreate in captivity. Besides, the guy was eating in an area, and the girl was sleeping in another area.....so, they weren't even together.
 

Entrance to the Memphis Zoo

Eastern Screech Owl...
Entrance to the Panda Area
YeYe...eating
LeLe...sleeping
After the zoo, around noon we hit a BBQ place, which was ok. I know, Memphis is known for BBQ but most of the good places didn't open until night...and we weren't sticking around for that time. 
After lunch, we did a drive thru through the civil rights museum (aka Lorraine motel) which is where MLK got shot. The motel still stands, but the street is closed. You have to pay for parking and then you gotta pay to get into the museum and then there's a garden across the street (more history stuff) which you also have to pay. It's not a lot...I believe it might be like $10 a person, but we didn't really have the time, and we were saving our money for Graceland. We took some pics and left.
This is an ok bbq place....
Street to the civil rights museum closed off
Museum to the left...motel to the right. I don't think you are
allowed in the motel, but you can see the big wreath
in memory of MLK.

Driving from the motel to Graceland...we came to notice that we were not in the nice part of town. I'm sure Memphis has nice areas- but this wasn't one of them. People were sketchy. I've been wanting to go to Graceland since I saw LILO and Stitch. But I gotta tell you, they drew it too big. It's not nearly that huge. And the awesome entrance gates are always open and lead right into a busy street- so it's really hard to take pics by them (the way Lilo and Stitch did at the end of the movie).  Unless you do them at night....with a really nice fancy camera and nice flash...cause otherwise, you won't capture anything.
Right outside the place

Once we reached Graceland, you have to park across the street (there is no parking next nor inside Graceland). There is only one big parking lot across that you have to park in and they charge $15 to park...ridiculous! Had I known that, we probably would have parked a block away in a restaurant and just walked. But...I don't know...Daddy and Dom were pretty worn out from the zoo.

Robin baby bird nest right on the walking path.
Once you park and get your entrance tickets, there are shuttle buses that help you cross the street. The area is quite big, but the house is not...so strollers are not allowed inside. If you look at it...you think "I've seen houses bigger than this in HGTV"... BUT this was back in the '60s....either way, it's pretty. Also, you're not allowed on the second floor...not sure why. I'm not really sure what's upstairs, except bedrooms that haven't been touched since the '70s.

Shuttle buses taking you to Graceland
Grand Entrance...yeah, we got stuck with a bunch
of middle schoolers.
Grand room with one of his 3 baby grands
Kitchen...doesn't it look like an RV kitchen??? I did notice
that he had tvs in every room.
Anyways, after the house, you can tour the stables, his recording and trophy room, a room full of his iconic wardrobe, and his meditation garden and pool. In the garden, you will find the King, along with his grandma, and parents buried. People leave all kinds of stuff on the graves....weirdos...wasn't the $34 per person plus $15 parking fee enough for these people????
Back of the main house
Trophy room
Wedding attire from Elvis and Pricilla.
Another trophy/wardrobe room
 
Either way, I really liked it. I didn't  realize Elvis was actually buried there. And even though Dom was a pain towards the end ( no naps- so he would nap on the way back), it was still fun to just get up and go somewhere. I like spending time with my little family, they're fun....most of the time.
Meditation garden
The King

While I thought Memphis was and is a lot of fun...I wouldn't recommend spending the night there....most of the area has weird people and sketchy stuff....so no overnight trips. BUT for day trips...it's a hoot!
"It was a LONG day, mama...Ima sleep on the way back...while
you don't ok?"
 

No comments: