Anniversary

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

May 11, 2014

29 months

Dom is getting much better at communicating. I think the therapy is really helping him. He won't talk much, but he's great at pointing and letting me know if something is okay...or not. No more grunts....actual babbles and hand gestures....finally something I can read...and understand.

We're still trying out the potty thing....he's definitely not ready, otherwise I think we would have mastered it. I keep seeing these things on Pinterest about kids training within 3 days....yeah, I'm past the deadline. BUT we still go number 2 in the potty since it's the only time I can actually catch him...and besides, I feel if I stop completely....I would lose everything we have worked for. I'm hoping one day...it will just click (AND I save myself some diapers).
pretending that he likes ice cream

He has started to hit or throw when things are not going right. Personally, I thought it took him too long. He doesn't do it often. He's a pretty calm baby, but there's times when he just doesn't have time for things and he hits me. Consequently, we have started time out. Actually, daddy did it. I didn't have the heart for it. But I think it worked. We place him in his room and we shut the door for no more than 30 sec, then we go in and explain why we put him there. I started doing it, and then at the end kissed him and requested a kiss from him (which he does) and then tell him I love him. I'm not sure if it's the right way to do things, but I much a softie. But recently, he hasn't been in time out in days...so I think it works.

He gravitates towards older kids...like the 5 yr olds, but they don't give him the time of day...haha. They're too advanced for him. This past Saturday, we went to a ward Mother's Day picnic ( Mother's Day is May 10 in Latin America....always) . It was at a park and they had a merry go round and Dom was in love with the fast pace of it...but he's just too little to keep up with the older kids that were defying gravity with how fast they were going on that thing. He tried it a first time- didn't like it. He was so dizzy...he likes to go fast but not get dizzy. I kept telling him to play with the nursery buddies by the dirt over there...but he didn't want any of that....he wanted to give the merry go round a second try. I kept yelling his name to back up while the kids ran, and soon enough everyone knew his name..."Dominic, get out of the way"...."Dominic, back up"...."Dominic, go away". But Dom didn't care, he wanted to be where the older kids were. Then, he got trampled....THREE times. Daddy was suppose to watch him....I'm not sure what happened...I think he got too close, and the kids trying to make it go faster just ran him over. Daddy brought him over to me, and his mouth was full of dirt...all three times...and he still kept going back....(sigh).

He has also getting better at pretend play....he recently picked up a small "baby" teddy bear. He pretends to feed it, and put it to bed. I think it's so funny. I am not really sure if he learned that from nursery or what...but it's quite entertaining to watch. He'll even kiss the baby goodnight and wave bye....haha...what a goob. Maybe he'll be a good older brother....gosh, I hope he is...cause I'm going to need all the help I can get.

He's sleeping like a rock recently....he only wakes up once....great for me. The past months, he's been waking up twice to five times a night...it's like having a newborn all over again....it sucked. I think it was the molars. He wasn't crabby or crying or anything...but he just had a hard time going back to bed. I'm blaming the molars.....and the fact that I didn't give him Tylenol every night...I don't want to make an addict out of him....but these past  2 weeks, it's been great. I don't mind getting up once....but four times??? My eyes would sting and I was so crabby in the morning....I laid on the couch for another hour while he watched cartoons. I couldn't take it...I love my sleep...my DEEP sleep.
He even lies down after we wake up....it's awesome!!

He's into Dora these days....I'm not sure how he found that one. But he also likes mickey, and team umizoomi. I like the latter one, it teaches basic patterns and math...something Dom totally enjoys. He also like paw patrol on Nickelodeon. It's a show about puppies that save the town...it's okay....it not educational like Sesame Street was....but he doesn't like that anymore. But he'll still watch super why, and word girl on pbs. He's is showing less interest in the tv these days, so I'm going along with it....we'll go outside (that we got 90 degree weather) and we'll go to stores and browse. We'll go to the library for story time once a week and socialize with other babies , but we usually stay a bit over an hour because he likes to do the puzzles there (and there is also the speech therapy weekly). We'll do the iPad puzzles every other day for a couple of hours...I know, it's too long, but I feel like I need a bigger break sometimes. We'll play with this robot he has that teaches him letters and words...he really likes him. Every opportunity he steps away from the tv, I usually turn it off....and we'll do something. 
Daddy sometimes has to take over

He loves books. He re-found some baby books and loves browsing them. We'll take some to church so he can read during sacrament meeting...and it works!! Two meetings in a row...I didn't have to leave because Dom didn't want to stay....I also found him a dry erase activity book and take some dry erase crayons with us....and that does the trick. It's awesome! I love actually being able to listen to the meeting without someone whining in my ear.

Happy Mother's Day
This Mother's day was a bit humbling. We didn't really do anything extraordinary...after all, we are students this year, but we knew that this would happen.  My husband gave me a rose and made us dinner. He's already a sweet man...what more could I ask for? He also woke up with Dom so I could have an extra hour..mmmm.
I was watching a movie recently where it stated : "our parents teach us to be ready to face life, while our children teach us how to face life without being ready"....so Happy Mother's Day Mom!

I really enjoy being a mommy. Now, that Dom comes  up to me and grabs my face and kisses it (for no reason at all)....it's the best feeling in the world....I'm finally starting to feel like I'm actually doing something right. I never really felt like I was doing anything right the first couple of years....so his approval is worth everything and a bag of chips. I also enjoy how he comes talk to me about anything and ASKS for me specifically to come play with him. I feel like our bond and communication has reached a new level, that I didn't realize could happen. 
I finally feel like maybe I COULD do this all over again....if that's what the future holds.


No comments: