Anniversary

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

August 25, 2014

We have a Diagnosis....

All of us went to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital (hopefully for the last time) to get Dom a medical evaluation about his speech delay. He had a psychological one last week that was posted here. However, this was a medical one with a research pediatrician. She was so caring, and so nice. It's been a while since I've been with a caring doctor...usually they only see you for 5 min, give you shots and then leave for the next patient...I just assumed it was how doctors did things these days. But Dr. Lawrence was so caring and concerned...a breath of fresh air....
Waiting room

Anyways, she answered all my questions and concerns and saw Dom play and interact with her. Again, he had good non verbal skills...but delayed speech. She finally told me that he has very specific characteristics of Apraxia, which is very common in children. It is very rare to have as an adult, so Dom will eventually get better...it will just take some time. He just needs to practice....that's what therapy is for. He does not get frustrated (at all) when people don't understand him, but Dr. Lawrence suspects that will change when he goes to school. He's so mild tempered...who knows? Either way, he will probably go to school as soon as he turns 3, to give him a head start. She did mention that he has a little bit of apraxia not only in his speech (and mouth) but also his fingers....he's a bit slow at certain tasks....that honestly, I hadn't noticed before. But I guess it makes sense that she mentioned it. Dom is a very visual person...I can't just tell him to do something (unless it has been repeated and he's familiar with ALL the words)...I have to show him several times how to do something...but once he's got it....he's got it...he will never ask me again. I guess part of that is his apraxia.
Not really sure he wants to be there

I'm so glad I was able to find a good specialist that was able to answer my questions and give me a diagnosis....now he has to have an evaluation for occupational therapy (to help him with his hands). I am not sure if he really needs it, but whatever helps...you know. They do that at the same place where he takes speech therapy...so not a big change there...he would probably just go an extra day a week or something. I am just so glad it's something common and treatable and hopefully will disappear. I was thinking, recently, about all the genetics in both of our families, and apraxia is really the least of my worries- with diabetes, autism, auto immune diseases, degenerative diseases....I really don't know why I was making such a big deal about it. I'm just so relieved that we now know what it is, and it's totally treatable, and it will not get worse. I'm so grateful for modern science....because 20 yrs ago people would say..."oh he's just slow...he'll catch up". Now, we know with certain therapies...most people recover.
Daddy was having more fun...I think

No comments: