Anniversary

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

September 11, 2014

33 Months

It's amazing to me how much Dom has progressed in the last month or so with speech. He's already putting three words together. I am not sure if he just needed confidence to start...or if maybe he was just like "whatever man, I'm ready"....whatever it was, I'll take it. I am so proud of him. He won't shut up. Now, Spencer is like "Dom I can't hear"...and I keep telling him "Hey, he's talking...that's awesome, don't tell him to shush". I guess it's true: we spent the first two years asking that our children talk, and then we spent the rest of their lives telling them to shut up.
Went #1...he was so proud...he kept saying "mama cookie"
but only did it this ONE time...haha

But I love how he talks to me. You can totally tell it's not his forte...,he mispronounces stuff all the time, but he doesn't mind being corrected....but he tries and putting three words together....it's HUGE to us. I am so grateful for the OT and SLP treatments. He's no longer shy...he totally loves socializing with whoever is willing to play with him. In nursery, when I drop him off, all he says is "okay mama...bye bye" and sits down at the car puzzles (that's all he does in there).
Pretend play
Out on a HOT HOT day

He has also discovered that jumping on the bed is OH so much fun. Now, I see why my mom kept telling me to NOT buy him a bed...haha. I'm glad I didn't, because I'm sure we would have had too many accidents by now. He also likes to jump on my bed...but if I catch him he gets into trouble...my bed is way too high. He's also into pretend playing A LOT. I found him a mater (from cars) in a tjmaxx and he loves that thing....he plays cars all the time. Even though, he's got like a billion other toys, it's always the cars and helicopters. I have to play with him and push him to play farm or kitchen. And when he's suppose to be napping (and I close his door) I can hear him talking to his cars....it's so cute. The other day I also caught him talking on my phone...he had a lengthy conversation with someone and there were all kinds of emotions...haha. I still wonder who he was talking to....or  maybe I talk like that and he was copying me?
sleepy heads.....I'm the one who can't sleep these days.

The picky eating has subsided...he still wonders why I give him weird things, but he'll try them and I he likes them, he'll devour them. Otherwise, he only has one bite. SO much better than the picky stage, where he would just get up and leave and not eat, but then ask for food later. See? you stick with it, and he gives in. sucker.....Tantrums are almost gone too. Yeah, he gets mad...who doesn't have bad days you know? But overall, he's awesome. The ladies at the stores always compliment how well behaved he is. And he hardly is naughty when we go to the stores. He'll play with the toys there, and when it's time to leave, he'll get sad, but not throw fits (which I am so grateful for..cause I can't afford to buy him something every time we go out) and say "bye bye toy". He also like to pay for things.....he likes to swipe the credit card and make the approved noise...haha...he's a natural...uh oh.
Practicing his X's and big circles

We do some schooling/therapy at home every day. We do some in the morning and then some after dinner. The OT has show me what he needs to work on and what he needs to do to get ahead- so we'll work on putting our shirt/shorts/shoes/ socks on. He has the most trouble with socks, but seriously, so do I . We practice our coloring everyday as well. I didn't realize this, but did YOU know that when kids color they use their whole arm? By simply putting your hand over their arm (when they are coloring) and applying pressure, you'll force them to use their wrist, therefore enhancing fine motor skills.....who knew? I also bought a preschool book (seriously all school stuff is on clearance at target and walmart...worth checking into) and we practice our colors, numbers, and shapes....which he's so good at....it's really just repetition at this point...and making sure he pronounces them correctly.  Also, they get better when they color at a slant....Dom has a slanted desk, but I t never occurred to me that it would help. Now you know why children's desk are always slanted. So now, that's  in the living room so I can watch him while I clean. We have also started practicing cutting with scissors. The OT does that with him, and he loves it. So I went ahead and bought him those starter scissors with the spring, so they are always open, he just needs to practice closing them. But the spring can be removed, so they can be regular scissors later on...best $2 investment (plus target right now has drawing paper and construction paper for .50- great for kids crafts).  He's actually quite good. I thought he was way too young for them, but the OT says it would help with fine motor skills....so whatever helps. He's really not that behind...maybe like 4 mo or so, but there is wiggle room in there....so really, he's fine. I think once  we move from TN,  we won't do OT anymore.....now that I've learned what we need to work on...and he's actually doing great. He can draw circles, lines, and x's on command....which I recently discovered.
 
We're starting states- but only have three down: oklahoma (very important...that's where his guelita Iives), TN (where Dom lives), and Texas (I really don't know why- he just likes saying it and it's HUGE you can't miss  it). I bought him a Montessori US states app and he loves  it. Daddy also bought him an Elmo loves letters app, and he double practices his letters on that as well. So, I think we're doing good. The TV is hardly on these days, so I  think its working. We'll probably get rid of cable when we move, since nobody really watches and that money would probably be well spent somewhere else (like preschool). And besides, it keeps me moving too, I have so much cleaning to do this couple of next weeks....and throwing stuff away too.

Daddy has been teaching him how to throw a football and swim. They have an awesome relationship. I think Dom really missed having his Daddy around this past year. Every time he leaves he asks me where dada is. And when he comes home he always yells "dada" and I always say "are you sure? go see"....cause I mean, what if it's not? and some weirdo just walked in? haha
Anyways, they go to the pool and Daddy teaches Dom how to jump and doggy paddle, and swim and hold his breath and Dom loves it. I feel like maybe next summer, he might need some swimming classes. I know he likes the water, but I think he REALLY enjoys the pool. I mean they could easily do 3 hours at the pool every day. It's insane. I'm done in half an hour.
Daddy also is teaching him how to throw the football around, but I think he's much better at the swimming than the ball. He definitely needs more practice with the ball....and it probably doesn't help that Daddy hits him in the face all the time...I would quit too.
 
It's crazy how kids learn things so fast. Let's hope in this move, Dom doesn't regress again, because we're doing so well.

1 comment:

Kayla Coffey said...

Just thought I'd say that I love reading your blog! And Dom is too cute, I can't believe I haven't met you guys yet. I'm excited for when I get to!