Anniversary

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

June 17, 2016

Vacation Bible School

Dom had nothing to do this summer(or so I thought), so I signed him up for VBS (Vacation Bible School). It's a big deal around  here- lots of kids (including lds kids) go every summer, and all of them are free....for the most part. They do ask that you donate food/serve ware for kids snacks.

This was a week  and it was from 9 am to noon. It was great for me. I took Ethan couponing for a couple of hours. But to be honest, Ethan is the bad one, I'd rather take Dom. Either way, one kid is better than two. Helps me think better. 

Dom had a blast, he kept asking to go back and he kept telling me this was better than primary.....Dom is really having a hard time in church these days. I'm not sure if they keep telling him to sit down and be quiet or what....but he doesn't want to stay. The other day, he was really distraught that he didn't get a candy because he wasn't "reverent". When he first told me, I was pretty pissed that they even do that in the first place. As a parent, I want to protect my children...a bit too much. Recently, so many bad things have happened on the news, that I can't help but worry more.
So, my first insticts were anger...some kids have ADD they can't sit down. It's not fair to not reward them, If they can't sit. Dom doesn't have ADD, but for the life of him, he can't sit down...even when it's his favorite things. So, I asked Dom to be still the next Sunday and see if he could try to get a reward...and he did it. I'm sure it was SUPER hard for him....sitting for so long, but he did it! Now I know that if he tries really hard, he can do it.

Anyways, he made some friends, played games, learned some christian principles, learned some new music, and had a blast. Well worth the time....One week of summer down, and I was able to keep him busy...it was a win win.
I gotta find more stuff for him.

2 comments:

Chris and Katie said...

Oh my gosh...Dom's primary is the story of our nursery. They kind of treated the kids like dogs: SIT BOY SIT! (no joke) so between Chris and I, we always stayed. They finally got a new couple in there any they tailor to each kids needs. Finally after two months of them being in there, this past Sunday was the first Sunday Jace ran right in without looking back and no crying! I would be so mad if they didn't reward my kid but did the others, for sitting or not sitting. Things like that bother me. Treating every kid like they are the same as the next. Some kids need different attention or have different learning styles. Sheesh. Glad he liked bible school though!

Kayla Coffey said...

I can't believe they didn't give him candy! Don't they know that punishing kids is not the way to go?? I'd be so dang frustrated, too. But I'm impressed that he was super reverent the next week to get the candy! That's one determined kiddo!