Spencer is in charge of work schedules now, so he made it clear to everyone that he wanted three day off (including his birthday) this year. He worked Sunday and then rested until Thursday night. I had no idea he had so much planned for us until the week was about to start.
 |
| Getting to the fair |
First, he really wanted to go to the State Fair. Truth be told, We have NEVER been to a state fair. I dont' see the point in it- dirty rednecks, too much beer, and too much heat. Spencer just wanted to say he got to do it once. He kept telling me "this is kinda like Disneyland". Um....Disneyland MY BUTT. It is certainly NOT like Disneyland. He made us arrive at 8:30 (when it officially started)...but nothing really opened until 11 am....so we ended up going to the cattle shows and judging. It was funny to see pigmy goats. Dom immediately said "this smells horrible...what is that smell?!" haha...he cracks me up. We didn't last very long because my children do not sit- Dom was fed up with the smell and stepping on goat poop and Ethan was wanting to pet the darn things (which bite...by the way).
So away we went...to walk around. We went looking for this oreo cinnamon roll Spencer kept talking about. OK can we talk about how expensive fair food is....WHY? I really didn't see it as extraordinary. Spencer found the roll (cost him a whopping $9) and between all three boys...it was finished. Honestly, it looked WAY too sugary for me....so I skipped that. I figured if I'm going to eat...I might as well get some protein. By now, it's probably 10:30am...and it's hot. Usually, it's not this hot during fair time. But this year, we got to the 90s (but the feeling was 108), and the worst part...is that there was hardly any shade. You don't get THIS at Disneyland. The least they could have done is maybe put up some stations with big mist fans or something. My kiddos were bright red and water bottles were $4. We had brought our own (thank goodness) but the water fountains were so scarce. We were smart though...and we brought our little red wagon. I don't think I could have handled my kiddos whining because they had to walk. I don't mind pulling...I just don't want to carry 30 lbs kids around in 108 degree weather.
 |
| we had the right idea with the wagon |
 |
| yeah...goats bite |
 |
| Dom loved it... |
 |
| Didn't really move for Ethan lol |
When it was time to eat, Dom would only eat hot dogs....we walked for like 5 minutes (they are so hard to find) and when we did find it, he didn't like it and didn't eat it. What a waste of $8. He drank a ton of soda...that I'm pretty sure gave him a tummyache...because I got one too. Cold icy soda just sounded better than water from a hot water bottle....big mistake. I am not used to drinking that much soda...and my bowels could not forgive me....not to mention, soda doesn't really hydrate.
When the carnival games finally opened, I bought Dom an unlimited band, so he could ride whatever he wanted. Which meant, that me and Ethan had to sit around for another hour. He was playing with my phone...I was losing liquid (in the form of sweat) by the gallon with every passing minute. I looked around me and all I saw was cranky people (probably the heat and no shade/ water). We finally gave up at 1pm, and I was trying to walk fast to get to the parking lot cause Ethan was bright red...then he started like "passing out" which freaked me out. For a split second..I was thinking heat stroke. I stopped to really look at him, but he seemed fine. Come to find out, he was so tired, he was falling asleep sitting down on the wagon. When I finally made it to the van, I was exhausted, my feet hurt so bad and we were all so HOT....I mean, even the highest level of AC would not do it for us. So if there is a next time- bring umbrellas (for shade), bring a cooler with more water, bring more cash (those carnival games and rides are expensive), get acquainted with the map, so you know where all the good food is...instead of walking around in hot weather like a maniac....and that was the fair....haha. There was a Disney on ice there, but the tickets were ridiculously expensive...and it was sold out. Looking back on it, it wasn't all bad....maybe we'll try next year, but prepare better for sure.
 |
Got to be a farmer for a day...they even got to sell their veggies and got money. |
 |
| Ethan is more about the food than money |
 |
| so tired and so hot |
 |
| He rode every carnival ride he could |
 |
| SO DONE by 2pm |
Then, on Tuesday, my husband wanted to go to a waterfall....that was two hours away. I just tagged along...it was his birthday after all. So, as soon as Dom was done with school, we ate in the car real quick and left for Little Niagara Falls. When we got there, there were actually some families there. The place is very nice....they have a nature center that is to die for. We really enjoyed looking at the dissected animals, the small theater, the junior ranger program, a working beehive, and Dom got to stamp some leaves and see what owls throw up ( did you know owls eat their prey whole and then barf bones/hair afterwards? Fantastic!). Ethan found a way to open the darn container and take the little hair ball out...along with some bones...AY! Who invited THAT KID??? He also found a way to touch every single dissected animal in there.....
 |
| the nature center |
We headed to the waterfall. It was so pretty...but no one was really getting in and I thought it was odd, so we changed and off we went. HOLY HECK! I have NEVER been in something so cold! I mean...the water might as well have been ice. It was so horrible. I put my feet in, all the way to my knees...and that is all I could do. It was a thousand little pricks on my legs...I mean it hurt so bad when I walked. Who gets in?? Ethan...that's who. He didn't even hesitate...He just kept going and going...finally Spencer had to jump in and get him....Spencer was very uncomfortable. Then Ethan, wanted to climb the waterfall. Seriously...whose kid is this????He was seriously in the water (up to his chest) for about 15 minutes. I was seriously fearing hypothermia...if the weather wasn't so hot. We couldn't figure out why it was so cold. I mean, I know running water is cold, but this was absurd...might as well have been glacier water. Seriously, beach water was not nearly as cold as this! But it is a nice area where they have camping and amenities, so we may go back and do that. The town is super small, but the park was really nice and kept up.
 |
| walking to the waterfall |
 |
| getting ready to go in.....Dom chickened out. |
 |
| Ethan was all game for it |
We were so tired from so much walking both days, that I completely forgot to decorate the dining room for Spencer's birthday. On Wednesday, we went to my parents (I baked a cake and brought food, my mom cooked it) and had tortas for lunch and cake for dessert. Spencer and I have decided that maybe we're too old for cake...we should do something different....like cheesecake or donuts... something that's not cake. We're just not really cake people. Maybe I just need to learn how to make fancy cakes that are not just from a box and white frosting...haha. HEY I made a dark chocolate torte one time for MY birthday and everyone hated it. That was my one try at something different.
But Spencer had a good birthday- his parents sent him a gift card to the local hardware store and my parents (and us) bought him some tools. He has already started his shed- he's got the roof done and the foundation done. Next month, he will tackle the walls and siding and shingles. And soon after, we will repaint the kitchen. He really enjoyed being home, and I am glad we could be there with him.
 |
| He loved it! |
 |
| Ethan trying to climb the waterfall...whose kid is this?!? |
 |
| He cracks me up |
He's a pretty great man. He works non stop. When he's home, he's still working- on diy stuff, doing schedules for work...he's always busy. He does a good job of keeping the kids entertained when I need a much needed break. And the kids love asking for him. Ethan always gets sad when he leaves....he waves all teary eyed when his daddy leaves for work. Dominic says dad works too much haha. And he is super responsible....he has managed to pay off his student loans completely and has started to pay more on the mortgage, so we can get more back when we sell it, and is starting to put more money into retirement....he's so smart...and we're so old...haha. I'm proud of everything he is and has accomplished. I know it's not easy to work nights, and deal with patients, and be on your feet all day. I"m glad he sticks around on his days off and we stay up and watch documentaries and scary movies on Netflix (has anyone seen Stranger Things on Netflix???) or he'll watch New Girl with me (it's the only chick flick show I will watch...it's too funny not to). I usually pick what we watch....so that's nice of him. We stay up and talk about everything...which after 10 years, you would think we would be scraping the bottom of the "conversation topics" barrel.....but I guess not. After 10years together, we still call each other "buddy" because "sweetie" or "baby" just sounds too fru fru for us. He's always thinking about his siblings and parents....remembering their birthdays and expecting nothing in return. I think that is super nice. He is a pretty great guy....he's like fine wine...he gets better with age.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BUDDY!
 |
| Spencer's gift to himself...haha...an edger. |
 |
| Nice meal: tortas |
 |
| Cool cake...with great company |
2 comments:
You should come to the New York State Fair next time. It is known nationwide as a great fair. Hot dogs are $1.50 and a bottle of water is only $1 and I promise it won't be as hot as Oklahoma.
Leslie, what a nice tribute to your husband. Thoughts expressed like that are one of the many things which make you a wonderful wife and daughter-in-law. We love you all!
p.s. I am especially exited that Ethan whispered 'Bopi' via Skype on my birthday. Love, Dad
Post a Comment