Anniversary

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

February 27, 2012

Adventures in Mommyhood

As I watch Dom sleep (and truly treasure everytime he does), I wonder why he is sleeping during the day. He never sleeps during the day. That's why he sleeps so well at night. Poor guy, I wonder if I overstimulate him during the day and he can't handle it. Or maybe due to the 3rd month grow spurt, maybe he just needs the extra sleep period. I hate these grow spurts. Dominic becomes so unpredictable. Some days he'll eat 9 oz before going to bed at 11pm and sleep 8 hours, and other times he hardly sleeps.
He is almost 3 months, which is so exciting. We finally get to see some progress. The first couple of months was nothing but changing diapers, sleeping, and eating. BUT NOW....he's smiling and kicking and cooing....so much that he won't shut up. Maybe that is why he sleeps so much, cause he tires himself out.
During these past month, we are trying cloth diapers. I must admit, cloth diapering has changed so much since my mom did it with us. The diapers these days are an average of $15 a piece. Luckily, my cousin no longer needed hers and told me to tried them to see if it was something I wanted to do. I must say, they are more work than disposable but in the long run...so much cheaper. I have to watch Dom constantly to make sure he's not going #1 more than usual otherwise the cloth diapers can't take it and it kinda comes out. But honestly, I change his outfit like 3 times a day anyways, so I don't really mind. Since he stays up during the day, it's easy to change his diaper every 3 hours. It's at night, where I have the most trouble. Right now, he's using disposables at night, because he's sleeping in our bed (so I'm lazy, sue me). Some nights he has a hard time falling asleep and his pack-n-play is close to the door and window that i'm pretty sure that's how he got a cold. But there is no more room in our room to move it around. Once he turns 6months, he's moving to his own room and as soon as the weather turns warm, he'll sleep in his crib and will wear cloth diapers. We'll eventually stop disposables all together. #2 is a lot easier on us though. The cloth diapers absorb it awesomely. The disposable ones don't absorb anything at all, and since he drinks formula and only poops once a day (and a lot of it), it would always ride up and into his back (great mental picture huh?). SO I would totally recommend cloth diapers if the baby is breastfed. I would suggest to let them air dry instead of using the drier though, because it destroys the elastic fairly fast. You might have to change it by the time the 2nd baby gets here. And since we don't pay water in our apt and I make the soap (hypoallergenic and can be used to clean these diapers)- it's so much cheaper than the disposable ones. Thanks to my cousin, I am able to do cloth diapering for a tiny fraction of what it would have cost me, allowing me to spend the extra money elsewhere that really matters.. like the cute diaper bag and stroller!

I was soooo picky about my diaper bag. I refused to wear something that was pink or blue...cause what if we have more kids and they are not the same gender? I wanted something that didn't even look like a diaper bag, because lets admit it.....I'll use it prob for the next 4 years.
I looked at the nordstrom website and found the timi and leslie brand diaper bags. How cute! I loved them because they have extra straps that hang from the stroller bar instead of sticking it at the bottom of the stroller (that just seems annoying). It also comes with a changing pad, bag for dirty diapers/clothes, bottle holder, millions of zippers and compartments, and a clutch. I like the clutch idea, because if I need to leave the diaper bag, I can just take the clutch and leave knowing all the essential are there. I can't describe how much I love this bag. But it was sort of expensive, but not to worry...Ebay has the same selection as Nordstrom, so mine was like 50% off. I can deal with that. I always say..if it's a long term investment...go all out. What I like most about it, is that it looks nothing like a diaper bag...its just a huge bag. I can see myself using it the next 5 (or more) years. Now what to do with all my purses in the closet?
Spencer told me that he would like to take Dom out for strolls so I could not just get any stroller. We found a jogging stroller on craigslist at a very reasonable price with the matching car seat. What a steal! So now we can all go jogging. But really....I don't think Spencer will go with us. I need to lose the weight...so I'll def go and obviously Dom has to go with me. I can't wait until I can fit into the same jeans I've had since college. How possible is that? NOt sure....we'll see. I am totally determined. I'll start the JIllian workout and zumba soon...haha.

Oops, Dominic is awake and demanding my attention...so that's all for this entry.

1 comment:

Chris and Katie said...

We're thinking of doing cloth diapers...let me know if you like them!