As predicted, I drove pretty much the whole way from St Charles MO to Nashville TN. It was suppose to be a 6hr drive, and we made it in 4.5hrs....oops. I kept looking in the rear view mirror and kept worrying about Dominic's head slouching...and lost track of the spedometer....several times.
Spencer tried to sleep but couldn't, and would wake up when Dom screamed to be fed. Typical Dom...only cries when hungry...otherwise just whines.
So, we're here and drove around downtown...which is SOOOOO busy....there is a convention center and music city, along with football stadium where the Tenessee Titans play. There is always something going on and there are tons of parking garages willing to charge you $5 to let you park so you can look around, and its very easy to get lost. But Spencer has a built-in compass in his head...so he always knew where n/s/e/w were.
We did get lost trying to find Vanderbilt. We went the opposite way and ended up circling the whole Nashville area. We gave up because it was rush hour and people drive like maniacs around here.
The next day, we realized where we had gone wrong and got there in like 10 min. Vanderbilt is gorgeous! I'm glad they put the overly expensive tuition from all those students to good use. So green and so many parks to chill. So many starbucks and paneras (seriously like 5 just down one street). You can walk everywhere, everything is walking distance. It's like a mini town. There are bridges where you can cross the street so you don't actually have to cross the road. People do drive like maniacs around here. I miss my college life.
You know it's a big college when they have their own hospital for grown ups and children as two separate building but all within the same block.
We saw these penthouse apartments. They are on top of a 5-story car garage. I'm sure they have an amazing view of the downtown area and they ask for your first born as deposit. We were not sure how you would get furniture up there. The Uhaul truck would not fit in the garage and the elevators were not fit to carry big things...they were just normal size. We came to the conclusion that they must be furnished, otherwise it would be a nightmare to move up there. It must be a nightmare carrying groceries up the elevator though.
Everyone looks so good...they dress so nice to go to school. I guess I've gotten frumpy in the last couple of years, cause I remember dressing nice (and still thought i was doing it) but when you walk around here...people got work pants on, and ties....and I saw several girls with heavy backpacks crossing the parking lot with 5in heels. I totally remember doing that too! But now, that i'm older....I think...gosh that's dumb.
Our second night here we got several tornado warnings at around 3pm, but luckily nothing major happened here. But we did notice that people were closing shops early. We did have some hail that was quarter-sized and it came down hard...and it rained like there was no tomorrow...but we're used to it living in Oklahoma for so long.
I asked Spencer to take some pictures of Vanderbilt when he left for his open house thing. I hope he did it and hopefully when we get home we can post them. I forgot my cable.

No comments:
Post a Comment