Anniversary

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

March 16, 2013

Feeling Crafty

These past couple of months....I've been feeling crafty. I finally pulled the cricut out and started working on some stuff. They have free cartridges each week and I decided to do something Easter-ish. So I ended up doing these spring cards. I didn't know how I was going to put them up exactly, so I went to Michaels, due to a sale. I found some hooks to hang cards for two dollars (24 of them). I couldn't pass it up. I tried to find some pretty ribbon, but didn't like anything. Upon coming home, I remembered that the hubs had fishing wire and it might look better that way. So, this is the end product:


I think they turned out nice, and I can always use them next yeat. Just a cheap way to decorate for Easter around the house. It just seems that decorating has gotten very expensive- I don't know if I want to spend $30 for an Easter wreath that will only hang for about 3 weeks out of the year. Someday, I would like to make a wreath with removable decor- so I can switch it up depending on the season and holiday. That way, I only have one wreath- and the decorations would fit in a small box, meaning, almost no storage space needed.
This month, I also found a thing on pinterest that I wanted to try. An empty picture frame with chicken wire (inside of the frame) to hang photos randomly. I didn't have chicken wire, nor did I even know where to get it. But I did have the picture frame and leftover hooks from my last project. The whole point was to hang pics of the baby- he doesn't really have any pics around the house, and I feel like we need to have them. He's a part of the family. So, I got the frame....superglued three pieces of fishing wire (since it was not noticeable) and hung the pics. I actually already had the pics....sad story...I got free prints from an online service a while back (I only have his first 9 months) but never did anything with them. They have been in the armoire this whole time. It was time to display them, but didn't want to get so many picture frames. This was the end product:



I only ended up using the first two wires, I guess I could use the third, but then the pics go below the actual frame, and I didn't like that. My OCD was starting to come out...but if I can get some pics from his first bday and on....maybe I can get over it.

This month I have to attend a baby shower. I didn't know what else to get the mom except maybe some essentials. So I decided to do a diaper cake. Never done one before- how hard can it be? Well, it was more challenging than I thought. The bottom tier was a piece of cake. I got it done in like 10min. The top was a bassinet with some goodies inside. That one proved more challenging- I had it all done...and then I moved it, and it all came undone, so I had to start over. It was horrible.

For the basinet- the dipers had to be rolled and there was nobody to help me. So, I had to use those twisty ties and then had to cut them off when I had the shape set up. what a pain! but it worked.

The last one is not very crafty- but I thought it was pretty smart. I bought a diaper genie way before baby was born at a garage sale. I KNOW- most people think they are a waste of money- BUT I knew a couple who swore by it and I found it while looking for other baby things. The lady only wanted $5 for it and it had a refill already in and two more inside the thing. She just wanted it gone. She did say "you will never find a good deal like this", so I went ahead and bought it. AND BOY was she right....I don't regret the purchase at all. The diaper pails are expensive to begin with and one refill is more than what I paid for the whole thing at the sale! I did end up getting two free refill coupons from my target registry. So, basically I used up 4 refills and I didn't want to buy more....and we had already switched to cloth by then. But, it does work- it keeps the smell in. So, if you can afford it or find a good deal- GET IT. So, the thing has been sitting in the closet for close to a year. I never used it for cloth diapers because it's just better if they are in the laundry room (where the smell can be contained) and dried outside to get the ammonia smell off. I didn't want his room to be smelly.
I have been wanting to sell it, but not sure if anyone really wants it without the refill. So, I thought....well maybe we can turn it into a hamper. The baby really needs one- we go thru his whole wardrobe in like 8 days.  I had the hubs take out the mechanism that keeps the odor in place (the spring and whole middle part). I had a nice hamper lining for it, but then thought..."another thing to clean?" , so it's gone...and it's just the pail now- its better this way- I just get a clorox wipe in case of potty odors and be done! So, this is what it looks like:


I thought it was quite clever, because his clothes are just stacked on top of the dryer ALL WEEK. It's just easier this way for us. Now, to decorate it- but not sure what yet. We're trying to figure out the decor for his room before we move so we can decorate his new room in the new apt in TN. We were thinking mickey mouse- but not sure. I'm sure I could get some cheap decals somewhere, and he does need a toy organizer. We'll see...but for now...it does the job.


Here's the end product from the diaper cake craft.

No comments: